Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Nothin' like fixin' yer truck on the side of the interstate....

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
Yesterday, I was headed to the next town over to check on a job that was a "show up, and get put to work" type of construction job.

It is a 32 mile drive on the interstate.
Well, 2 miles from my destination, my truck suddenly cuts out.:headbang:
Push the gas pedal and nothin'.
I get the truck pulled over, and try starting it. Turns over fine, but doesn't even attempt to start.
So I opened the hood and started trouble shooting.

My first though was that it could be a plugged fuel filter, because I had dropped the tank out last week to change the sending unit.
Nope, filter is still clean.

Checked for spark, yep. (My finger is still numb from that one, damn cheap screwdrivers)

I then pulled the fuel line off of the carb so I could check the fuel pump.
Hmmm, no gas! :idea:

Pulled the fuel pump off, and found out that it had broken the armature, at the pump diaphram.

One phone call, one ride from a friend, and $35 later, I'm on the road again!

Bad part is that I missed out on that job.

Good part is that I called on a add that was in today's paper, and I have a job interview tomorrow morning! :WooHoo:

I was also informed that if all goes well with the interview, then I will begin work monday! :jumping: :WooHoo:

Guess some things happen for a reason! Wish me luck !!

I have had that happen to me, a couple times! once with the fuel pump and a couple fuel filters not the funnest thing when it is a fuel pump

best luck getting that job.

Sounds like you had some crappy luck sounds like your ignition module or somthing died happens alot on these trucks. But your not the only one that was left stranded on the side of the road before i was at 4.30 in the morning my belt jumped off that runs the fan power steering waterpump then knocked my alternator belt off. Found out the next day that it had the wrong spacer between the power steering pump and the engine block.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
sucks about the truck but congrats on the job and good luck! i love being able to actually fix the truck when it breaks down on the side of the road and everybody else is like WTF?!?! how can he do that?

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
Sounds like you had some crappy luck sounds like your ignition module or somthing died happens alot on these trucks.

Only ONE problem with that theory: my truck does not have an ignition module, it has the old points style ignition, and I had just installed new points and condenser 2 weeks ago.

Was the fuel pump (read all of first post)

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
sucks about the truck but congrats on the job and good luck! i love being able to actually fix the truck when it breaks down on the side of the road and everybody else is like WTF?!?! how can he do that?

Thanks! And yeah, I love being able to troubleshoot within minutes (most of the time) and fix the problem quickly and easily without having to plug it into a computer just to figure out what fuse, sensor, relay, circuit, or whathaveya is either blown, broken, or malfunctioning!

CLASSIC FORDS RULE!!! smilieFordlogo

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Better than on a newer Ranger. Add the word "module" to any part, and all of a sudden you add hundreds of $$$'s to the price of the part. Yes, the Ranger has a "fuel pump module." Don't ask...

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I had a little problem with my truck the other day. I went to the store and when I got back in my truck it just clicked when I tried to start it.
I got out opened the hood checked the battery cables. They were tight checked the wires on the solenoid they were fine.
Tried again click! click! Damn!
Checked it all again then saw the little terminal on the starter gave it a wiggle and "VAROOM!" I was off.
On the road again! Damn grimlins!!!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I always hate having to fix on the side of the road. Dunno what it is...but it always makes my heart drop. Probably because any time I'm on the highway, I'm several hours from the nearest person that can help/give a ride/etc. Not to mention...it never seems like you have the part or tool you need. But congrats on the interview. Everything happens for a reason.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Well, at least you weren't on the upslope side of the hill between Sheridan and Buffalo. Good luck on the interview.

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Ahhhh.... Interstate truck repair! I know it well! When I first got my truck I took it on a 600 mile trip up to my inlaws for the holidays. Well, they wanted a HUGE Christmas tree from a place in, of ALL places, San Francisco! :rotz: So, 3 of us piled into my truck (including my 75 year old mother in law) and off we went, on Christmas Eve on a 60 mile one way trip to get the "most perfect tree you will ever see, from the only place on earth that would have it" (GEEESH!!) You guessed it, a couple miles from the tree place my alternator froze up, snapped the fan belt and I was dead on the highway. A call to my brother-in-law, and 2 hours later, he arrives and takes us to the parts store (meanwhile, I am under the truck taking off the old alternator and dislodging the pieces of the fan belt from the engine) By now it's dark of course and mother in law has to go the bathroom. That's what bushes are for along the freeway I told her. Well, long story short, I replaced it, and put an extra one in the tool box and we made it to the tree place in time. What a pain though!
At least, as you say, I was able to do it!

Good luck on your job interview! With all of us routing for you, you should get the job!
Dak

emtzach

i get paid to do this
i hear ya had to help a budy put a t case in. luckilly we were headed from the junk yard to the shop and had just picked up the t case cuz the old one was stuck in 4x4 lol now its perminently in nuetral

back in june 1980 just north of LA near that huge roller coaster i pulled over on the side of the road and changed the oil and filter (7 min)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
back in june 1980 just north of LA near that huge roller coaster i pulled over on the side of the road and changed the oil and filter (7 min)

First off why??????? Just had the urge? Secondly, you just had 6 quarts of oil lying around in your truck? Last...7 mins!!!!!!!! Geez it takes my oil that long just to drain...haha.

every 2000 miles.. i was 500 over at the time so i pulled over and whooosh into the gravel ,plug back in,filter on .. refill and..on the road again.......:)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts