Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Introduction and Questions (gauge and steering box)

1979Beast

Work In Progress
Hey guys, New the forum but not so new to the good old dents. Just for an introduction, My father built and restored a 1979 ford f-150 4x4 in 2000 and as I grew up i fell in love with "The Beast" so upon graduation it has become mine. Sad to say my parents were divorced and as soon as my father was remarried the restored dent was pushed out for the new wifes car. Causing it to become a rust bucket over the 13 years (Wisconsin salt). So now I have a dilema.. I have a once beautiful truck with a 30k driveline as he had everything rebuilt from front to back. From sitting this long period of time I have had to replaces some parts. (keep in mind im turning 19 tomorrow so I cant just buy everything at once) But since feburary i have replaced all u joints, brakes pads, shoes, calipers, rotors, drums, wheel cylinders, spark plugs, oil, coolant, new rear brake lines, master cylinder, brake booster, air filter, radio, speakers, power steering pump, and some other odds and ends. As of right now It needs Exhaust work (True duals) steering box and tires within a year. Now for the questions, for the steering box i have heard wonderful things about REDHEAD steering gears, if anyone else has 2c please fill me in money isnt an issue because it isnt a daily driver and I can wait and save. Next is gauges, my gauge clust works, fuel, water temp, alt, and oil press. So i took some time and did some research and a fellow dentside owner in town has a oil pressure water temp and tran temp gauge in addtion to his orginal (auto meter) is it worth the $208 for the three guages are they that much nicer to monitor? My frist truck was a powerstroke and the boost gauge was nice for hauling so i wouldnt blow the turbo off with my injectors and such.
Thanks so much for the info sorry it is so long!

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Welcome!!! The stock gauges work, but are not that reliable and having other mechanical or even electric gauges like Autometer gives you much more information and accuracy on what's going on. You don't need to get autometer though. Granted they make awesome gauges and that's what I have in my 77, but I recently bought a triple gauge pod (oil, volt, temp) for around $50 and it works great.

Many people have turned to RedHead Steering and have very positive things to say.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts