Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

F250 Turbo Diesel SuperDuty Super Cab/Crew Cab Search

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager
Hi-

I'm normally in the 8/9 Generation forums for my 1992 F-150, but I'm looking for something with a little more pulling power and versatility.

I found a pretty nice 2002 SD Turbo Diesel 7.3L Crew Cab for about $13.5K, 141K miles. It's a PA truck, I'm in upstate New York.

I was told by the dealership that there was something more-reliable about the 2003 and earlier Diesels (guessing 1999-2003?). Is this true? Is this the diesel I should be looking for?

Any recommendations or pointers gladly accepted. Thanks!

-KJ

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
7.3's were pretty dependable trucks.. very rarely did they have any issues. they are still highly sought after today for that reason.. 7.3L have a long span of years to pick from.. the biggest question in there is what did the Previous Owner's do with it that will really determine how reliable they would be for you...

basically what your person at the dealership was trying to say was the end of 03 was when the 6.0's were introduced.. the engines that followed tend to be more problematic than the 7.3's were.. dont get me wrong there are some good 6.0L,6.4L,6.7L out there that arent as problematic.. but finding them is the harder part..

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager
7.3's were pretty dependable trucks.. very rarely did they have any issues. they are still highly sought after today for that reason.. 7.3L have a long span of years to pick from.. the biggest question in there is what did the Previous Owner's do with it that will really determine how reliable they would be for you...

basically what your person at the dealership was trying to say was the end of 03 was when the 6.0's were introduced.. the engines that followed tend to be more problematic than the 7.3's were.. dont get me wrong there are some good 6.0L,6.4L,6.7L out there that arent as problematic.. but finding them is the harder part..

Cool, thanks Sparky.

I test-drove the 2002 F250 turbo diesel. It seemed to run ok. It had underliner coating to protect against the winter salting. They said it had a new turbo installed in it, but from my research it looks like all of the 7.3Ls were Turbo Diesel? Why would they have to put a new one in?

I found similar trucks for $2-$3K cheaper than their $13.5K asking price in the 80K-160K mile range. Sounds like a 1999-2003 F250 turbo diesel is a good bet.

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager
The actual turbocharger is a maintenance item. They eventually wear out and need to be replaced.

Good to know! What's the typical value of a turbo charger plus install on this series?

I think the dealer paid $8K-$9.5K for the truck at auction, then added the turbo charger maintenance and set the price to $13.5K.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
actually not all the 7.3's came with a turbo. The earlier ones just ran off compression in the cylinders alone. which resulted in really slow (pigs crawl) acceleration. Not sure when exactly they introduced the turbo's to them either. but i think it was 99 when they added one.

Franks correct. The turbos are a maintenance item that do eventually wear out. i know my 6.0 has had 4 of them in its history and after i got it i had to rebuild it just last spring.

Rebuild you can do it yourself for less than $800 (cheaper if your just doing bearing and seals).. full replacement if you got flea bay 900 maybe.. other places your looking $1200 minimum... as for a shop to change them, couldnt tell you.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
The 7.3 is great . I see allot of newer 6.0 sitting cheap on lots not no will touch them it seem .

Ford Truck Articles