Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

16,412 miles on single oil change

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
So this was a customer of mines UOA. I pulled the sample at 16,412 miles into oil change.

Its a 2010 Silverado, he had previously only ran Conventional oil every 3k miles and Walmart Fram filter. First time on AMSOIL. Next time will be even better.

He ran Signature Series 5w30 ASL.

We changed it Friday morning at 20k miles. He was only 2 QTS low. Was never topped off during OCI He was 1 qt low when sample was pulled but he said no to topping it off as we were fixing to change it.

If we topped it off with 2 QTS. It would've rejuvenated the TBN massively, and a filter change this truck would have made it 25k miles.

Keep in mind on TBN, Blackstone labs says 1.0 is low. OAI for some reason doesn't think you should go below 3.0

blacksnapon

Staff member
Personally, That many miles on an oil change is STUPID! Have a truck under warranty that has engine troubles? Show them how many miles on your oil changes, WARRANTY DENIED! It wont matter how many lab oil analysis reports you bring, YOU EXCEEDED MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDED SERVICE INTERVALS. Then you, yes you will have to prove that the extended intervals weren't responsible. NOT THE MANUFACTURER! It doesnt matter how long the claims are, it is NEVER a good idea to extend intervals.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
That's actually not true. Magnusson moss federal law allows you to extend your oil changes.

They can only deny if the oil change was direct cause of failure. Which if using a good oil ya won't have that issue.

blacksnapon

Staff member
MM was enacted to prevent manufacturers from forcing you to use their parts only, not a blanket excuse to do anything to your vehicle that you desire. Vehicle manufacturers set recommended service intervals for a reason. You can use any filters that you want to (as per MM guidelines), use any oil that you want to (as per MM guidelines), but intervals are non negotiable. In a warranty dispute, that one would lose (and they have many times).

I had amsoil in my BII from 99k to 135k miles. All I did was change the filter and add a qt. every 2500 to 3000 miles.
Once I pulled the valve cover to change a gasket, and it looked like a 6 month old engine inside. It also freed up a lifter tap.
When I sold it, the oil still looked and smelled great.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Remember our Durango? When we sold that.....we put about 15k miles on it in 3+ years with 0w30 Amsoil in it and never even changed the filter. When we sold it, I gave him the Amsoil filter as we were getting ready to change the oil, but then decided to sell it and didn't need the filter anymore.....when we checked the oil, it looked like the oil had just been changed.

blacksnapon

Staff member
^yes, but you can also maintain as you see fit as long as not detrimental to the vehicle. And OCI is one of those parts.
AH, YES, that old argument. The same one that aftermarket suppliers have been using for years. Did you know that installing a tuner will not void your warranty? Did you know that going 100 thousand miles between oil changes wont void your warranty? Did you know that installing this "high flow" air filter wont void your warranty? UNLESS...............something goes wrong because of said part/modification/behavior. THEN YOURE ON YOUR OWN, simply because you didn't follow manufacturers recommended advice. ITS STILL DUMB TO EXTEND OIL CHANGE INTERVALS THAT FAR. Seen it happen many, many times!

blacksnapon

Staff member
Even so this post wasn't about warranty issues.
OK, lets try this, I had an old ranger that I abused it mercilously. In a quarter million miles, I know I changed the oil 5 times. We took the 2.9 apart, could see the cross hatches in the cylinders, absolutely no sludge anywhere. Using your own logic, that means the 10w30 dino motorcraft oil was just as good as your amsoil, right?

blacksnapon

Staff member
in amsoils warranty that you posted

• Failure of equipment when AMSOIL lubricants are not used in strict accordance with either the written recommendations of
AMSOIL or the OEM for warranty coverage. The Consumer is solely responsible for determining a product’s merchantability or
fitness (“suitability”) for a particular purpose and assumes all risks and liabilities when used other than in strict accordance with
either the written recommendations of AMSOIL or the OEM for warranty coverage.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Now, don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with Amsoil. Its a good oil. I have a problem with extended oil change intervals.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Oil itself doesn't go bad, it degrades from excessive heat and contamination. If the filtration is maintained and the engine doesn't get extremely hot that oil will most likely never go bad.

If it can handle severe duty in a semi, with regular filter changes, it will do the same in a passenger vehicle.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
All I'm going to say is in my opinion, OCI is peace of mind and cheap insurance. I know any gas engine I've had dies at about 250k (give or take 25k)...be that at 3k OCI's or 40k OCI's. What I have noticed is the difference in sludge build up and operating temps between the wal mart special oils and the product like amsoil. So in my mind, if it's going to die at 250k regardless...what's the difference.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
ok since i dunt know how to read that report... was it a good or a bad outcome?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Oil itself doesn't go bad, it degrades from excessive heat and contamination. If the filtration is maintained and the engine doesn't get extremely hot that oil will most likely never go bad.

If it can handle severe duty in a semi, with regular filter changes, it will do the same in a passenger vehicle.

actually oil will absorb air moisture into it if the engines not run often enough to "boil/evaporate" it off.. if it gets too saturated the effectiveness of its lubrication properties does go down. engines are not perfectly sealed to keep the air moisture out. in addition to the chemical break down of both dyno and synthetic oils this is the secondary reason there is a time span interval in conjunction to the mileage interval. so in that sense yes oil can indeed go bad..

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Bump for this change...
This is the 2nd change of AMSOIL signature series on this customers vehicle. First time I tested at 16k miles. And changed at 20k.

This time we stretched to 25 was goal but missed and hit 26 and change.. 1 qt top off.

Truck now has 202k miles on it.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
26K?? dang thats some strong oil there to have a report like that...

Ford Truck Articles