Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A model TT for me

Well, the deal really hasn't been talked about much, but since this section needs a little more traffic, im gunna talk about the model TT i might get.

For those who don't know, a model TT was a larger version of the model T truck. The "one ton" verson if you will. They had a stronger frame, longer frame, different axles, lower gearing, and solid rubber rear wheels, just to name a few variances from the T.

I know a guy in montana who happens to have half a dozen or so. Ive always liked the enclosed cab version. If I get one, i will most likely make it a flat bed with period looking duel rear wheels, warford over/underdrive transmission, maybe a little lift to the back to give it a little rake, and some engine upgrades. My grandad has 3 T's, and his roadster has an upgraded motor including a hot cam, different head, more modern carb, electronic ignition, ect. I might not go as extensive as he did, due to the cost, but I would definately like to warm a motor up for this project. If i get it, i plan to use it for a weekend afternoon drive vehicle, as well as something to haul my 4 wheeler with, as that would be about the max weight I would want to haul with it.

Now that I gave you my basic idea, any suggestions?

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
thats pretty cool! do you have any pics of the truck at all?

Dayuuum Cip, that sounds really fun. How cool would that be hauling a 4 wheeler around in one of them!

My Brother has been into Model T's for some time but I have to confess, I didn't know there was any such thing as a TT. I had to google it just to get a look see.

ModelTTruck_1924.jpg

ModelTT-hauling_1921.jpg

Good luck with it!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My Brother has been into Model T's for some time but I have to confess, I didn't know there was any such thing as a TT.

There was an AA, too...same deal, but for with the Model A. Grandpa had an AA dump truck for years when my father was young. Come to think of it, that's what Dad learned to drive in.

Cool deal on the TT! Do those still have the transverse springs in back like a regular T? Or do they have normal springs so they can haul more weight?

Either way...if you want to actually haul anything with it (even just an ATV), I'd look hard at the brakes. Make sure everything is in perfect working order, and look at getting "bands" for the drums. I'm not so much into T's, but I've been around A's a bit, and I know the biggest problem with the stock brakes is that the drums get hot and expand easily, and fade until they won't stop the car. You can get aftermarket bands that go around the outside of the drum and prevent (sorta) it from expanding.

thats pretty cool! do you have any pics of the truck at all?
No i don't. Last time I saw it it was about -20 and we were trying to get some work done, so I didn't get any pics.
Dayuuum Cip, that sounds really fun. How cool would that be hauling a 4 wheeler around in one of them!

My Brother has been into Model T's for some time but I have to confess, I didn't know there was any such thing as a TT. I had to google it just to get a look see.

Good luck with it!
Yeah they Were mostly sold as a chassis, where you put your own bed, attachments, ect on it. But you could get them with a bed.
There was an AA, too...same deal, but for with the Model A. Grandpa had an AA dump truck for years when my father was young. Come to think of it, that's what Dad learned to drive in.

Cool deal on the TT! Do those still have the transverse springs in back like a regular T? Or do they have normal springs so they can haul more weight?

Either way...if you want to actually haul anything with it (even just an ATV), I'd look hard at the brakes. Make sure everything is in perfect working order, and look at getting "bands" for the drums. I'm not so much into T's, but I've been around A's a bit, and I know the biggest problem with the stock brakes is that the drums get hot and expand easily, and fade until they won't stop the car. You can get aftermarket bands that go around the outside of the drum and prevent (sorta) it from expanding.
I would definately look into the brakes. The modification is called rocky mountain brakes. The brakes were in the transmission and if you for some reason lost a driveline, you were screwed. My grandad has done thing to both of the T's that he drives (The other is a tractor conversion). You basically make some drums that go on each rear wheel. They make a lot of difference. As for the rear suspension, Im not sure how it worked, other then it was damn stiff. Ill look it up. I have a couple books on them.
CCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL

Let us know if you get it.
I definately will
Sounds cool. let us know how it all works out.

I will do that. Believe me, if I get it, i will be obsesive about it. I am to model TT's as tex is to shortbeds

Do those still have the transverse springs in back like a regular T? Or do they have normal springs so they can haul more weight?

I couldn't find any information on this in my preliminary look, but my dad is certain it was a common leaf design, not the single leaf.

Just a thought, this should make it real easy to maybe lift up the rear end for a rake. I could probably just block it up. Its not like Im gunna have axle wrap, nore am I gunna lift it very much higher, just a couple inches

Not to be a negative nelly, but I believe the worm-drive TTs were geared quite a bit lower than the Ts. Your benefits from a "warmed up" engine may be marginal.

Ford Truck Articles