Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General Maintenance, Performance, and Tech. Info > Chips/Power mods

Old 10-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Country Boys Can Survive

1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute
Ram air would be the best.
86 F-250 HD 4x4
79 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 PM

dgwoodworks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 Ford F-150 View Post
Ram air would be the best.
do you have any pics ??

2004 F-150

Dave
Old 10-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Country Boys Can Survive

1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute1985 Ford F-150 has a reputation beyond repute
No but I was thinkin somethin along the lines of what the old mustangs used to use.
86 F-250 HD 4x4
79 Bronco
Old 10-21-2009, 01:06 AM
You Had to be There

blackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond reputeblackhat620 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerPilot View Post
It'll still be getting more hot air than cold air through the filter, since the "hot side" has a lot more surface area than the "cold side" of the filter.

I'd suggest wrapping the external part of the filter (forcing induction through the center), or building a baffle around it (should be cheap enough).

As Chris & Zach stated, you created a Hot Air Intake. I am also skeptical of the flow characteristics of the ABS pipe. An engine can only use a certain amount of air, and will only use what it needs, excess air is not drawn in. Changing the intake effects the flow characteristics of the engine and unfortunately usually not for the better. An engine needs a proper supply of clean air, the cooler the better.
I am not trying to rain on your parade, and i give you an A+ for ingenuity. Just playing the devils advocate as i have rarely seen the gauze filter society prove successful for performance increases on the track. Flow characteristics on a normally aspirated engine are extremely specific and tricky, hence the reason performance engine builders match and test there intake and exhaust flow using a flow bench. You want to increase performance by using more air, you need to use forced induction. There is a reason race cars use, ram air, turbochargers or blowers. But once you go to forced induction now you have to be able to supply increased fuel. More air without more fuel will result in perfromance problems and potential catastrophic engine failure.

"Might have won a suit, but what does that prove? You play the hand you're dealt and move on." -polarbear-

06 F350 CC SB 6.0 4x4, Suburban Ford (Thanks Ernie)
04 F350 CC SB 6.0 4x4, Van Bortel Ford (Thanks Jeff) [Traded 05/2006]

"Senator Obama's foreign policy seems to be somewhere between Rodney King's "Can't we just get along?" and Alfred E. Neuman's "What, me worry?" Thomas Sowell

Last edited by blackhat620; 10-21-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Boom Shaka Laka

RangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhat620 View Post
An engine can only use a certain amount of air, and will only use what it needs, excess air is not drawn in. Changing the intake effects the flow characteristics of the engine and unfortunately usually not for the better. An engine needs a proper supply of clean air, the cooler the better.
And that being said...a larger intake pipe size being placed on the same engine will lower the velocity of the airflow (since there's more area and a given pressure).

That air will then have a longer time spent in the pipe, which will give it more time to heat up (since the pipe is obviously in the rather hot engine compartment).

In theory, the "perfect" naturally aspirated intake will be a ram-effect inflow through the filter, through a pipe that is just large enough to not restrict flow (of course, smooth on the inside), through the shortest distance possible into the throttle body of the engine.

An example (though through a turbocharger as well):

Quote:
It lands just like a regular airplane... unless you want to fly like a drunk gorilla and slip down the last quarter mile of final, which I don't think any real pro pilots do.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:40 AM

dgwoodworks is on a distinguished road
The pipe size and lenth is same as the volant

2004 F-150

Dave
Old 10-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Boom Shaka Laka

RangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant futureRangerPilot has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgwoodworks View Post
The pipe size and lenth is same as the volant
And I'm not criticizing that, you made an excellent intake for a rock-bottom price. I'm just pointing out several problems with "cold air intakes" as well as any intake system we see on modern cars and trucks.

Quote:
It lands just like a regular airplane... unless you want to fly like a drunk gorilla and slip down the last quarter mile of final, which I don't think any real pro pilots do.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:54 PM
FTFS Designated DRINKER!

TexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond repute
What you need is some thing like this..
http://www.jegs.com/p/Spectre/Spectr...03412/10002/-1
So you can get air from the OUT side of the bay
02 Ranger Edge 4x4 4.0

Tex the AK-toting Liyote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
What you need is some thing like this..
http://www.jegs.com/p/Spectre/Spectr...03412/10002/-1
So you can get air from the OUT side of the bay

That is good...I've actually seen some guys do something like that with their dentsides...no too difficult since they already have provisions for a single. However, I think the OP was looking to do it on the cheap, or stick it to the corporate man, if not he probably would have bought a kit.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Old 11-15-2009, 11:20 PM
FTFS Designated DRINKER!

TexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond reputeTexasNomad has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTfball68 View Post
That is good...I've actually seen some guys do something like that with their dentsides...no too difficult since they already have provisions for a single. However, I think the OP was looking to do it on the cheap, or stick it to the corporate man, if not he probably would have bought a kit.
Absolutely lug nut!!! I was just showing a pic of some thing i'm far to dumb to describe

I'm sure he can find every thing at home depot or local hardware to make some liek it...
02 Ranger Edge 4x4 4.0

Tex the AK-toting Liyote