Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'95-'96 Explorer 4x4 VSS drive gear replacement

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Pretty simple swap with basic tools.

You will need:
VSS drive gear
Speed sensor gear
Rear output shaft seal
12pt 12mm wrench or socket/ratchet
1 1/4" socket or metric equivilant (I don't have metric sockets that big)
11mm or 7/16" wrench for the VSS
Large flat head screwdriver or seal puller

Start by getting the vehicle in the air enough to crawl under it either with jack stands or ramps, I found ramps to be easier as it aids in removing the driveshaft.

Pull the four 12mm bolts from the flange on the transfer case and set the driveshaft aside.

You will end up with this:
attachment.php

Next remove the drive flange nut with the 1 1/4" socket, if you have access to air tools the part will be much easier, with a standard 1/2" ratchet you will have to get a cheater bar or something for extra leverage.

This is what it'll look like, you can also see the speed sensor here.
attachment.php

Remove the VSS with the 7/16"/11mm wrench and replace the gear on the end, leave loose for now.

Remove the output shaft seal and you'll have access to the drive gear, either with your finger or a screwdriver through the speed sensor hole, it is a squeeze fit so there is no retainer.

NOTE: when replacing the gear make sure the smooth side is facing out.

Slip the new drive gear into place

Install new seal

Reinstall drive flange make sure not to loose the o-ring or washer in the end of the flange.

Reinstall the speed sensor

Reinstall the nut and torque to specs, make sure you put it back in the same exact location as it came out or you'll have to either spin the axle or the flange.

Reinstall the driveshaft torquing the bolts to spec

Lower the vehicle back onto the ground and test drive to ensure proper function.

Ford Truck Articles