Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 6

Generation 6 1973-1979 F100, F150, F250, F350

Old 12-31-2017, 06:19 AM

popsthebuilder is on a distinguished road
Help Please

I'll get right to it.

My 2001 f150 v6 has been a good little work truck for the past three years, but is now on it's last leg and is ready to retire. It is my work truck and general transportation. Anyway, it has had it. So now to the actual issue; I need a work truck. I have a 72 250 cs with a 390 ci and three speed auto. It has too much rust, but the engine and tranny are in working order, but the truck is so rusted that I lost the hood on the interstate a while back. Beyond that it has a pin hole in the radiator and something keeps draining the battery. Also one tire is loosing air. I cannot find another hood anywhere. It was really stupid of me to not recover it when the hinges failed, but the bed was full and I had no tie downs at the time. So that brings everyone up to date in those trucks.

I have located a 78 f100 with what seems, to my ignorant eyes, to be a 460ci truck. Nominal rust. I went to go by the truck yesterday evening and use it for my next work truck. The old gentleman who purchased it says he doesn't have the patience for it. So I go to crank it yesterday and it starts right up... but begins spewing gas all over the top of the motor. Take apart sight glass filter and reassemble. Attempt to start truck back up. Nothing ....it fired multiple times though. I eventually determine that it is getting no spark whatsoever from the coil. Upon closer inspection I realize that the rest of wires to and from and surrounding the coil are slap dry rotted. So I want this truck and can get it for even less with the issues I'm having, but I can't play pretend mechanic in this gentleman's drive for ever while I try to get this thing back rolling.

I admit that I am rather new to older Ford's. Give that the wires look so toasty and that the truck needs to be moved next time I go look at it, what can I do to get it rolling easily/ temporarily.

I was considering putting an hei distributor in it for ease and to bypass electrical issues for now. I am not a mechanic but am mechanically inclined. I am not, however, any sort of electrician whatsoever, so I am looking for braindead easy temporary fix just to get truck to my house.

So should I try and take coil and stuff off of the 72, or get a Chevy style distributor for the quickest easiest fix?

Please help me,

Thank you.

peace

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2017, 10:09 AM

Is this not a BB?

Am I mistaken? 7 bolts holding valve cover- 460 ci I thought I had read?

Took ignition and some wire ends from 72 this morning.

Gonna try to piece together in order to move.

What about this 4bbl? Is it okay?

Old 12-31-2017, 11:33 AM

Got spark....ran for a couple of minutes until I took cables off....slowly starved for gas....which doesn't make sense because we put a total of about 4 gallons in it.

They changed the rear tank and fuel pump. I checked line after pump before filter and no gas what so ever.
They used existing gas line from tank to pump. Could it be totally clogged? It was running after they changed it. But then started starving out. Could it be a vacuum leak keeping gas from moving? Excuse my ignorance. Please help.

Thanks

Old 12-31-2017, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
It looks like a 460 to me though I’m admittedly rusty on that age of trucks. That carburetor should be perfectly fine for your needs, they are about as simple as you can get. As far as spark goes, the stock Ford duraspark system on that 78 is a pretty good system. I would keep it rather than go HEI. If you can swap the coil to rule that out that would be good, the other thing to swap would be the duraspark box on the drivers side fender. They’re known to go bad and a replacement is $20-30 at any parts store. Again, been a while since I’ve actually had my hands on a demtside but I think if you remove the box from the fender and look at the back side, there will be a flat, colored grommet where the wires go in. Make sure your replacement is of the same color as this will ensure the orientation of the connectors is the same.

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 12-31-2017, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
As for gas a truck I’ve used in your situation is to just strap a gas can under the hood and run a piece of fuel line into it from the fuel pump. Should be enough to get it to drive home. If it will run that way you know you have an obstruction of some kind from the tank to the pump

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 12-31-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCab View Post
As for gas a truck Iíve used in your situation is to just strap a gas can under the hood and run a piece of fuel line into it from the fuel pump. Should be enough to get it to drive home. If it will run that way you know you have an obstruction of some kind from the tank to the pump
Thanks for all the sound advice.

It was just out of gas it seems.

Guy ended up selling it to someone else he had been in contact with, after I got it running. His father is who I was dealing with the day before who said $1000 would take it away for sure, but today I was dealing with his son who insisted on $1600 cash.

I made arrangements to produce said cash and the other gentleman he was in contact with offered him $2500. I just don't have the resources to compete with that even though I am in need of a working truck.

The guy paid me for my time and apologized; I guess you can't expect more.

So I guess I need to focus on my 72 250.....that I cut the coil and some wires off of earlier to make the other truck run.....got a pin hole in the top of the radiator, no hood (can't find one anywhere that I know of), something killing the battery(maybe the hood light (probably)), heater core replacement.....and lots of metal patchwork (including floor pans, hood hinge point support, and what I think are the cab supports.

I think I can get the hood support from LMC, but I'm really stuck on the hood. Around here trucks that old aren't in the yards; they were smashed a long time ago.

How safe is it to drive the truck with compromised cab supports? Can't I get ahold of a welding machine and some iron and patch whatever is solid?

Thanks again for the advise.....that was a sweet truck, but I like my 72 too.
Any more advise would be great; I'm pretty good at wingin it, but that is no substitute for actual knowledge.

peace

Last edited by popsthebuilder; 12-31-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:03 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
Sucks they sold it after you got it running.
Randy
Old 01-01-2018, 10:12 PM
The Token Canadian
Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
Can you take a pic and post the cab supports?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:34 AM
Texas Chapter member

Jasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to behold
LMC truck has all of the cab supports is you decide you want to replace them with stock parts.

'77 F100 Flareside

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."
Old 01-02-2018, 10:46 PM
Ford Parts Guru

BKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by popsthebuilder View Post
I have located a 78 F100 with what seems, to my ignorant eyes, to be a 460.
Either the 460 was swapped in or it's an F150. Only 1973/76 F100's were available w/a 460.

2017 Fusion SE