Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351w cams?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I enjoy mechanics and trucks, but I'm also a realist. I am not a mechanical engineer. I know the basics on how everything works and will be attempting to build my own new rebuilt motor. I know how a camshaft works, and I know what it does, but I am not well-read enough to understand what lift and duration I need for my application.

I dropped the heads off at the machine shop today, so I'm gathering parts and going to be building as my budget and time allows. I need help picking out a cam, and here's my situation:

I have GT40 heads off a 93 Mustang Cobra. I have instructed the machine shop to keep them fairly stock. They are planing them, making sure all the springs are fine, and making sure all the valve nonsense is functioning normally. Basically, I will be getting back reconditioned heads.

When I get around to pulling the block, I will also take it to the machine shop. I will not be changing the stroke and will bore it over as little as possible. Long story short, it's going to stay a 351 (or maybe a little more depending on the bore.)

I want to retain the stock fuel injection system. I don't know all of the constraints of the system, and that's part of the reason I am asking for help. I don't want to retune the truck. It's a 1994, which I have been told is a roller block. I was also told it's a hydraulic roller, but I can't attest to that (maybe another question someone can confirm).

Anyway, I just want something that will work with what my setup will be, and not do any (major) fuel system changes, and have a smooth enough idle. I want as much power as I can get out of this puppy but don't want to push it.

Ryan

on edit: Does anyone know what the stock lbs/hour rating the injectors were on the 351 in 1994? How much power are they good for?

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
being speed density when you up the poundage on the injectors the computer wont help at all.

if im not mistaken the computer will recognize its running rich and shorten the pulses on the injectors relegating it back to the equivalent of 19# injectors..

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I found a cool site to help calc injector size.

http://mustangpartstech.com/FuelInjectorMath.html

Estimated (absolute maximum) of 350 horsepower (will end up being lower, realistically)

(350hp x .5 bsfc) x (8 injectors x 80% load) = 27.34 lb injectors

That's a worse case scenario, assuming I get more HP than I will, and with only an 80% load rating. More realistically it will look like:

(325hp x .5 bsfc) x (8 injectors x 80% load) = 25.39 lb injectors

99% of the time, that will be 'enough' injector. If I decide to go full throttle, there should be enough headroom left on the injector to absorb more load and be in spec.

I'll look into the crap to swap to mass air flow after I get this thing built.

Ryan

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
a mass air flow swap aint bad actually..

im going to do one on the Flareside when this 302 goes down..

cause the plan is that it'll either get a 331 or 347 stroker. probably 331 for the reliability.

primetime

sawmill slave
Check out Iskys 371257 cam. Theres a Desktop Dyno graph over on FSB that indicates a real nice torque curve with this cam.

I wouldn`t worry about the injectors. If you`re keeping the stock intake and not going forced induction, they wont be slowing you down.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I don't want to choke it. My calcs say that ideally I would want a 24 for full throttle if I managed to get a motor to put out 325hp. I would say my GT40 heads and a nice cam could probably pull that off.

Ryan

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Ryan....you could always give TMI a call as well, he is also well versed in the W's.

primetime

sawmill slave
Are you changing the intake? That will be your biggest cork. 325 hp with just GT40 heads and a cam, regardless of how good it is, is optimistic at best.

Consider how Lightnings were equipped and what they were rated at.

And just to throw this out there, in 99 Hot Rod built a junkyard jewel engine with GT40ps, Performer RPM intake with a 750, and a Comp Extreme Energy cam with 224/230 @.050, and made 330 hp.

Not trying to be a spoiler, just saying.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I found a cool site to help calc injector size.

http://mustangpartstech.com/FuelInjectorMath.html

Estimated (absolute maximum) of 350 horsepower (will end up being lower, realistically)

(350hp x .5 bsfc) x (8 injectors x 80% load) = 27.34 lb injectors

That's a worse case scenario, assuming I get more HP than I will, and with only an 80% load rating. More realistically it will look like:

(325hp x .5 bsfc) x (8 injectors x 80% load) = 25.39 lb injectors

99% of the time, that will be 'enough' injector. If I decide to go full throttle, there should be enough headroom left on the injector to absorb more load and be in spec.

I'll look into the crap to swap to mass air flow after I get this thing built.

Ryan

See how easy a carb looks now?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Are you changing the intake? That will be your biggest cork. 325 hp with just GT40 heads and a cam, regardless of how good it is, is optimistic at best.

Consider how Lightnings were equipped and what they were rated at.

And just to throw this out there, in 99 Hot Rod built a junkyard jewel engine with GT40ps, Performer RPM intake with a 750, and a Comp Extreme Energy cam with 224/230 @.050, and made 330 hp.

Not trying to be a spoiler, just saying.

not actually if you have the correct pieces all together and a GOOD cam. you can do just bout anything.

351W in my other Flareside i had put down 321 HP and 394 ft. lbs of tq at the wheels. on speed density, custom ground cam, GT40 heads, shorty headers, hot tuneup, new injectors, and stock intake.

primetime

sawmill slave
not actually if you have the correct pieces all together and a GOOD cam. you can do just bout anything.

351W in my other Flareside i had put down 321 HP and 394 ft. lbs of tq at the wheels. on speed density, custom ground cam, GT40 heads, shorty headers, hot tuneup, new injectors, and stock intake.

Any details on the tune? What were the cam specs? Got a dyno sheet?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts