Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Life expectancy

I am new to the forum and own a 2000 ford 7.3.

It has logged about 230,000 miles and I was wondering just how long will these engines last. I have heard that they will surpass the 300,000 miles with no problems however I am terrified that when this thing kicks the bucket the truck will not be be worth fixing/replacing.

Perhaps those that are here can post up their mileage and year model and what they have done to keep these engines alive.....

Only thing other than routine maintenance I have done to mine is (injector seals).

thanks "should I keep-or should I sell while the gettings good"

don

Michigan
Depends on how well its been taken care of. Ive heard of them with almost 400k on the clock.

I see the point you guy are making, however there is still value in the truck now. If I wait untill the engine blows the truck is worthless. A new engine is 6 to 7grand all by itself. Truck is no show queen, but has been taken care of. Guess what I'm trying to say is this truck is worked... Gets groceries, hauls wood every fall for heat, and pulls boat/fifth wheel in summer.

So, I am considering going new, but they do not offer a stick shift anymore. I was hoping that people would chime in an say 600 to 700thousand miles easy on this 7.3

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
If you're religious about maintenance, they can last a long, long, long time. There have been some 1,000,000 mile diesels but this isn't the norm. This happens with a perfectly machined motor from the factory combined with religious maintenance. If you feel like it's wearing out, then it may be wearing out.

What are you options and what's your main goal?

Ryan

If you feel like it's wearing out, then it may be wearing out.

What are you options and what's your main goal?

Ryan

It still runs strong... really strong. I guess there is a certain (fear factor) due to its age.

Options- Hmm, I can sell and puchase something newer with a stick, or I can just do as those have described, drive it till it dies.

Goal- To own a reliable/ worry free truck.

This is my first Diesel, and I know that 250,000 is pushing the limits of a gas truck. Diesel's are uncharted territory for me.

OK, so I'm guessing that these truck WILL average 500,000 miles..... I am going to keep mine then. I am so used to gas burners that it is almost inconcievable that any engine can go ....... that long.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts