Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Moody 4.9L and gear ratio's.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Hello ladies and gentlemen (and FTF users, heh)!

Two questions for you big block sixers.

First question; Is your truck moody? As in, does it feel like it has more power some days than others, and if so, how often and by how much? SOme days my truck feels like it's powered by a V8. Other days it feels like an over-grown 4-Cyilinder. I've heard from a lot of 4.9L pilots say basically the same thing; the motor is moody!

Second question (related to the previous); What gear ratios do you guys have?

Thanks for the time!

-Bill

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
i honestly dont experience that in my engine but i am having some minor troubles with it that im currently fixing(i believe its a fuel delivery issue)

as to what gear ratios, im currently running 3.55....soon to be 3.55 LS once i get the new rear ened swapped in with the limited slip(Trac-Loc)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I think the big answer is...the moodiness is more than likely related to the climate. Cooler weather, it'll be better, warmer weather it'll be worse. Not 300-6 owner, but I do have 4.88's, 4.56's and 3.55's in my 3 rides.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
i honestly dont experience that in my engine but i am having some minor troubles with it that im currently fixing(i believe its a fuel delivery issue)

as to what gear ratios, im currently running 3.55....soon to be 3.55 LS once i get the new rear ened swapped in with the limited slip(Trac-Loc)

Thanks for the reply frankenford

Limited slip is the best of both worlds for a daily driver in my humble opinion. Sometimes a locker can really be annoying, especially when it's drawing attention to you when you don't WANT said attention, lol.

So you don't experience any noticable power flux, huh? I know a couple guys have said they do on another site. I was just wondering how common it really is with the 300's.

I think the big answer is...the moodiness is more than likely related to the climate. Cooler weather, it'll be better, warmer weather it'll be worse. Not 300-6 owner, but I do have 4.88's, 4.56's and 3.55's in my 3 rides.

I hope that's all it is. What I'm thinking (uh oh) is that when you're dealing with a tired I6 motor with already humble horsepower, any kind of loss of power (or increase for that matter) is easily felt. So if it is indeed the weather, it has more to do with hot and cold. I think humidity and all that good stuff must have something to do with it to, because like I said some days the truck runs REALLY well.

All three of your rigs have massive tires. Which one has the 3.55??

Last edited by a moderator:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
My 5.8L feels moody. It seldom feels underpowered but there are times when I step on it and it smashes me into the seat. Only sometimes.

My 5.8L feels moody. It seldom feels underpowered but there are times when I step on it and it smashes me into the seat. Only sometimes.
That's due to the loose nut behind the wheel.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Ah, you guys are a lot of help. LOL

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I hope that's all it is. What I'm thinking (uh oh) is that when you're dealing with a tired I6 motor with already humble horsepower, any kind of loss of power (or increase for that matter) is easily felt. So if it is indeed the weather, it has more to do with hot and cold. I think humidity and all that good stuff must have something to do with it to, because like I said some days the truck runs REALLY well.

If you think humidity really is an issue, I'd say start cleaning plugs and make sure they're snug and secure.

All three of your rigs have massive tires. Which one has the 3.55??

Well here's the run down...Red had 4.10's with 35's and then I swapped to 4.88's when I swapped to 37's. Thunder had 3.73's because Dad thought he was gonna be doing alot of hwy driving, but after a year, swapped those out for 4.56's...so I didn't have to eat that cost. The Bronco is the one with the 3.55's, and when money allows after the engine rebuild, she'll be gettin 4.56's.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Heck Ben, I'd think 3.55's with 35 inch tires would actually cost you more fuel than if you had 4.88's.

So, nobody else here has a moody 300? I guess I'm the only one.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
Thanks for the reply frankenford

Limited slip is the best of both worlds for a daily driver in my humble opinion. Sometimes a locker can really be annoying, especially when it's drawing attention to you when you don't WANT said attention, lol.

So you don't experience any noticable power flux, huh? I know a couple guys have said they do on another site. I was just wondering how common it really is with the 300's.

i havent really experienced it when it was running good...ALTHOUGH i rebuilt my engine about 2 years ago so most everything is new(including most sensors). i think mine doesnt run moody probably because it is painted grabber green and old ford blue haha

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
LOL Piggy. Been quiet ever since, huh? :D

My 300 better not be a-spittin' no rods any time soon, or I might consider replacing it with a 302. ;)

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
i havent really experienced it when it was running good...ALTHOUGH i rebuilt my engine about 2 years ago so most everything is new(including most sensors). i think mine doesnt run moody probably because it is painted grabber green and old ford blue haha

Ahh, that might be why. My motor hasn't been rebuilt and I'm sure the sensors play a part.

When you rebuild a motor, do you clean the EFI injectors? If so, how do you?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Heck Ben, I'd think 3.55's with 35 inch tires would actually cost you more fuel than if you had 4.88's.

So, nobody else here has a moody 300? I guess I'm the only one.

Yeah...I'm thinking so...if there's any incline at all, I just about have mash my foot through the floor. As for moody 300's, I guess I've never heard that...but when it comes down to it, couldn't you say every engine is moody from time to time?

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Yeah...I'm thinking so...if there's any incline at all, I just about have mash my foot through the floor. As for moody 300's, I guess I've never heard that...but when it comes down to it, couldn't you say every engine is moody from time to time?

Every engine probably is, but when you're dealing with 110/120 horse at the rear wheels it's probably easier to feel.

Gearing makes a huge difference. Even my tired rig does okay on these hills and mountans now after the gear swap. I almost NEVER have to kick it out of OD, unless I'm trying to pass someone (pretty sad when my truck needs to pass someone).

She's pretty slow though. I wasn't paying attention the other day and dropped down to 55 going up a hill on the highway. This butt-head in a Chebby truck was RIDING MY BUMPER. He finally passed me and gave me a real nasty look and mouthed some words. ROFL.. it was hilarious. He could have passed me any time he wanted but I guess he wanted to pick a fight or something. LOL

Hey, it's a tired ole' truck. :pimp:

daddue11

Missouri Chapter member
Hey watchdog, My 95 f150 300 is moody at times,it always starts and runs and idles smooth but mostly I feel the difference when I'm pulling a trailer and when it's empty. I know that it might seem funny but I get more throttle response and smoother shifting when it's pulling a load or when the bed is full of heavy stuff,I don't know why and YES it does run stronger during the cool weatheror so it seems.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
the 300 i had was never moody it was fast at all times when it was not missing tough!

it had 3.55 gears and manual gearbox

mine ran just fine all winter but now that it is warming up it is acting like a pos again like it did last summer. But i kn ow i have a vacuum leak somewhere to fix too

Ford Truck Articles