Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tailgate Won't come down

I tried putting the tailgate down on my 94 f150 and the left side will unlatch but the right side won't. I have tried to pull on the handle and use a screw driver to pull the gear that lets it loose but it is like the gear is locked in place. Tried wd40 and it still will not break free. Any other ideas?

I tried putting the tailgate down on my 94 f150 and the left side will unlatch but the right side won't. I have tried to pull on the handle and use a screw driver to pull the gear that lets it loose but it is like the gear is locked in place. Tried wd40 and it still will not break free. Any other ideas?

Have you tried using the screw driver were it actually latches.
May have to have someone help while you wedge the latch from
the catch.Like opening a locked house door.

Fellro

Staff member
The latches on 87 and newer are more like the truck door latches. Likely the linkage came off. Look up in the hole where the handle is and see if you can tell if the linkage is still attached. If I remember though, you actually have to take the cover off the inside of the gate to get to it all. The rods are held by the same crappy linkage clips as used on the door linkage, and they do fail nicely. For future reference, keep them babies lubed to keep it working smoothly.

Yes I did try the screw driver and someone did help me but with no luck. And yes I have taken that inside panel off the tailgate and can see the linkages but it is still attached from what I can tell. The latch itself will not move period. I did break two screw drivers trying to open it. I used the other side as a guide so that I knew which way to move the latch and still broke the two screw drivers.

Fellro

Staff member
The latch locks just like your door latch, so you won't get it that way. Be certain that the linkage is connected at the latch end too. Otherwise shooting some penetrating oil into the latch might help.

I finally got it down. The rod was connected to the latch but the little pin that comes up and hits the unlock on the latch was not where it was suppose to be all i did was reach in and flick the tab and it came down. Thanks for the input.

I finally got it down. The rod was connected to the latch but the little pin that comes up and hits the unlock on the latch was not where it was suppose to be all i did was reach in and flick the tab and it came down. Thanks for the input.

Glad you figured it out,its a bummer when your tail gate dosnt go down..:kissass:

I usually shut my tailgate easy while holding the latch open so its
easier on the parts inside.
I see some people slam theirs which is harder on them....smilieFordlogo

Ford Truck Articles