Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bad starter

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Any good ideas how one gets that top bolt removed? Extremely PO'd right now, don't recall it being this difficult last time...

Did you use Redneck Loktite by chance putting that bolt in?

FWIW, I've never had any luck with reman starters when it comes to my diesels...

Fellro

Staff member
A special combination of certain length extensions... I don't remember the combination right now though. Hey, at least you don't have to pull it laying on a sheet of ice in sub zero temps in the wind... I had the block heater blow out on mine on a haul in those exact conditions...

thanks gents, I finally got it last night, in the fading light, lol, figured what the heck can't see the durn thing anyway. Used my 1/4" drive with and 6 or 8" extension, and my deep socket 1/2". It's out, need to field test it, first, then it's off to Napa for confirmation... and maybe then to CARQUEST (35miles away) for exchange, lol. Anyway, I appreciate this sounding board, I am not the most mechanically inclined.
Fellro, if you have time, could you explain what the block heater blowing out entails? I rely heavily on mine in the winter.

Fellro

Staff member
It physically came out of the block. My motor has been rebuilt before I got it. I believe that they removed the heater, then reused it. When they put it back, they stripped the threads, which then allowed it to come out of the block. I was loaded and trying to get moving on the ice slick which wasn't going so well, then that happened.

Ford Truck Articles