Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2002 Ranger V6 3L Flex Fuel Will Not Start???

Last week I went out on several small runs in my truck, All AOK. Now I start at top of drive approach street truck dies and will not restart.

I check the following: Voltage at battery 13.6 with head lights on, fuel pressure 40psi+, water, oil. All seem Ok

I buy a crank and cam position sensor but do not install either Yet!

I install a spark plug on left front wire, I get a nice regular stable spark.

Any Ideas Anyone?

I do not have any error codes or check engine light.

I get impression that injectors not firing as there is no attempted firing.

I am a licensed electrician and electronic tech as well I have just enough tech skillls to know that I want to avoid going on the proverbial wild goose chase.

BTW the truck has 120K miles I have been on a run on parts on front of motor in the year I have now owned this truck H2O pump idlers power steering pump ans serpentine belt.

The only thing unusual I did the day the truck died was to idle twice about 15 minutes each time with Ac on, this may have caused slighly greater than normal engine temperatures. My usual habit is to start truck and to allow to warm up about 5 minutes, I never sit in traffic or allow to idle.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
The only thing unusual I did the day the truck died was to idle twice about 15 minutes each time with Ac on, this may have caused slighly greater than normal engine temperatures. My usual habit is to start truck and to allow to warm up about 5 minutes, I never sit in traffic or allow to idle.

Idling for 15 minutes may be out of your usual pattern, but it won't cause any problems.

To clarify- the truck cranks but does not start, correct?

When you turn the key to "on" (don't turn all the way to start) can you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds? If not, I'd be looking at the fuel pump inertia switch (it's under a trim panel in the passenger footwell on a Ranger), and the relay for the fuel pump.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts