Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My Truck Has A Cracked Rim

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
after reading several threads on the alloy rims on these trucks having cracking issues (ntm a couple friends having recent problems with theirs).. I decided to check out mine today.. my driverside front one kept leaving grey streaks on one of the posts.. which i was hoping maybe the clear coat had just gotten scratched since i read that ford had coated them to protect the alloy from corrosion.. unfortunately i was not so lucky..

This is what i found today

IMG_2566_zpsigdrwwlz.jpg

IMG_2567_zpslxccv5yq.jpg

crack runs all the way through to the back.. and while on the front of the rim the crack only runs about halfway across the spoke.. on the inside it runs almost all the way across except for maybe an 1/2-3/4"... unfortunately couldnt get a good pic of it on the back...

so i pulled it off the truck for safety concerns and put the spare on.. but before putting it on i decided to clean up the spare a bit.. (i didnt want an ugly rusty rim showing to the world..)

IMG_2568_zpsozl8lqmq.jpg

after knocking off the rust and cleaning it up a bit..

IMG_2569_zpsm0zo3jdv.jpg

little black paint makes it look nicer...

IMG_2570_zpssipjpahs.jpg

IMG_2572_zpsbi6js9l2.jpg

normally i dont like the blacked out rim look.. but someways i kind of like it there.. but would still rather have the other rim back there... it just looked better...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
being that the trucks an 04 id say yup... apparently fords Alloy rims are known for this issue... funds are limited atm so trying to weigh the options... replacement alloy rim for mine is 794 from ford... online i can find used ones cheaper.. but makes me wonder how long till im in the situation again... playing with the idea of for right now getting the replacement.. then later picking up a set of the steel ones like the spare (and whats already on the inside of the back) having them chromed for to get the shiny look i like.. the painted steel ones ive found for $90 but the price for chroming a set is in the 1000 range...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
well local dealers more than what i found on the ford site... they said $767.15 + $50 core..

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I put hub caps on my 450........

$125

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
yeah it was 100 something when i had one break too.. friend said he could use his discount to get me a new replacement rim for almost half what the dealer wanted her...

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Sounds like a visit to car-part.com couldddddd be in your future. :D

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
actually a friend of mine in a more northernly state is getting me a new one from ford for almost half what its actually listed for.. might get to meet up too if it works out for TG...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I need to hook up with him, and get a set for my motor home, it has split wheels on it.
Those would be da bomb on that old girl.

I forgot all about him. thanks for the reminder.....

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
no worries lol

Ford Truck Articles