Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

info on the 6.7

blacksnapon

Staff member
Aluminum heads,18 headbolts per side, egr cooler- egr valve- egr control module all one unit. High pressure pump is in the front. 2 water pumps. Reverse flow (exhaust ports on top of the engine). 90% of all repairs are "cab on".1 large turbo (actually 2 turbos, one shaft), its a VGT. Torqueshift goes away (replaced with 6R140)

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Horsepower shmorespower. What kinda mpg numbers is it going to get? I have said it before and will say it again, deliver a truck with 300/550 that has the reliability of the 7.3, emissions of the 6.4, mileage shomewhere in the high teens, B-100 compliant, and you would have a winner, especially in the midst of the GM Chrylser bailout. What is sad, from what I see and hear of the 6.4, (seeing tons of them with Haliburton, Schlumberger, BJ Services, none reporting problems) this could have been the one. Ford and IH lost. That is of course unless the 6.7 is bulletproof from jump and gets better mileage than the competition.

Horsepower shmorespower. What kinda mpg numbers is it going to get? I have said it before and will say it again, deliver a truck with 300/550 that has the reliability of the 7.3, emissions of the 6.4, mileage shomewhere in the high teens, B-100 compliant, and you would have a winner, especially in the midst of the GM Chrylser bailout. What is sad, from what I see and hear of the 6.4, (seeing tons of them with Haliburton, Schlumberger, BJ Services, none reporting problems) this could have been the one. Ford and IH lost. That is of course unless the 6.7 is bulletproof from jump and gets better mileage than the competition.

I agree with the fuel economy statement! A lot of people wont' touch the 6.4 because of poor fuel economy. However from what buzz I'm hearing about the 6.7 we could be getting the best of both worlds, good fuel economy and off the wall performance!

390 horsepower, 735 ft lbs of torque. 3.55 gears, will run about 70 at 1600-1700 rpms. Mileage, after 1600 miles I'll be happy with 16. My last few tanks average about 14 and some of that includes pulling 10,000 trailer. I pulled my gooseneck at 21,000 lbs and it pulls it incredibly well to my Bank'd out 6.0 liter.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Ok I just bought a barely broke in F250 4 Door Lariat about 3 weeks ago (You wouldn't beleive the deal I got but thats another story), anyway..........Mine had a piece of paper from Ford saying that it had done a program change and now the vehilce is 400HP and 800ft/lbs of torque. Mine pulls like an APE. And I get about 10-13 mpg pulling my trailer, and about 16-18mpg unloaded (and if I keep my foot out of it). Barring any unforseen problems they have (IMO) a winner on their hands. One thing I'd like to ask though. WHY doesn't it have an oil pressure guage, and WHY did they put a plastic bottom on the oilpan? What in GODS name where they thinking?

Gunner

blacksnapon

Staff member
To be honest, I'm not that familiar with the cluster operation. The oil pan is a combination of cost/heat dissipation. Bizarre looking, sure, but it works. Just watch out the first oil change that you do. You take out the plug, and thirteen quarts come out RIGHT NOW!

To be honest, I'm not that familiar with the cluster operation. The oil pan is a combination of cost/heat dissipation. Bizarre looking, sure, but it works. Just watch out the first oil change that you do. You take out the plug, and thirteen quarts come out RIGHT NOW!

Yeah I changed my oil a few days ago. I'd say about 11 quarts made it in the pan and the rest ended up on the canvas tarp I had laid out because the oil could not drain into the collection pan fast enough, Ha! Think I'll just use a bucket from now on.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
The previous owner of my truck installed a pyrometer. How hot should the turbo run when I'm driving unloaded? What would your guess be loaded? Just wondering how hot these turbo's can get before I start having problems.

Gunner

A 6.4L or 6.7L? I thought the 6.4L had factory installer pyrometers on the turbo...

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
No mine is aftermarket. Autometer in the drivers side corner of the window. Seems like a good idea but I got no idea what the normal temp range for that would be, loaded OR unloaded.

Gunner

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
No mine is aftermarket. Autometer in the drivers side corner of the window. Seems like a good idea but I got no idea what the normal temp range for that would be, loaded OR unloaded.
Gunner

Gunner,

Glad to see you back posting again.

Pyrometer temperature matters based on location of the thermocouple.

Pre-Trubo installation max temperature is 1250F for sustained driving.

Post-Turbo installation max temperature is 950F for sustained driving.

Pre-Turbo installations are more accurate than post-turbo as heat absorption across the turbo varies. These numbers are good for any diesel engine application.

What kind of fuel mileage are you seeing with the new 6.7L?

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Unloaded I've seen from 15 to 18 mpg, depending on terrain and ambient air temp (got 18 in Michigan with the AC off, running about 16 out by Amarillo right now on a job). Got about 13 pulling my trailer which is about 14k gross. Power is AWESOME.

Gunner

New to forum.

Hello, my grandkids call me papaharv. I have owned several trucks since my first one in the late fifties, a "29" Model A with a short box. The truck I have had the longest was a "66" International half ton. I ordered it from the Springfield factory in "65". Then I was promptly shipped out to the South China sea. I recently donated it to a children's charity. They got almost as much for it as I origonally paid when I bought it. Had over 400k on it. I am mainly interested in this site because I have a new F250 with a 6.7L being delievered next month. This is to replace my present F250 with a 460 engine. I have never owned a diesel and need the education this site may offer.

Ford Truck Articles