Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HAVING A BAD DAY :( any help ? please?

A shorted cell in the battery is a possibility. or worse... the elusive SHORTING cell, that only shorts once in a while, from a plate that is loose, but not free (kind of like Tony's women... come to think of it, they may be short too... or short circuited... but I digress)
There's a number of unresolved questions here: If that is burned, WHY did it burn? Was the regulator not operating properly? did your ammeter short out? did gremlins attack? Also had you taken it down to the Chief Auto or one of those places, I think they test em for free... and a new alternator WILL have a burned smell to it, sometimes, as those techs with their soldering irons are not always right on the money, plus just the initial break-in period of toasting all that fresh bakelite and laquer.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I don't doubt your knowledge here Vince, clearly you're more qualified than me.

But even if that alternator is of GM design, then why did summit list it as being a Ford/Mercury alternator? Next question, assuming it is a GM design alternator, would it still work on a Ford 351w?
The gm style alternator was shown to be very adaptable with any make or model vehicle. For years, it was a smart thing to do, when you had a winch or any power robbing accessory, to mount an auxiliary alternator. The gm was the easiest to use. Aftermarket companies made them even easier. The GM high energy distributor (HEI) is another.

I don't doubt your knowledge here Vince, clearly you're more qualified than me.

But even if that alternator is of GM design, then why did summit list it as being a Ford/Mercury alternator? Next question, assuming it is a GM design alternator, would it still work on a Ford 351w?
What they've done is just modify the mounts to make a GM alternator work on the fords. Delco has the market on single-wire alternators, and components are more unilateral. But that's just my guess on things.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
ok guys no prob.. but ONE big problem..i live in the caribean... and im going to the states ok oktober 11th what sould i do.. ask for a full refund? or let them fix it for me? or what ? i will close it back and hope that they will not notice.. but nways.. its their faulty product .. becuase i installed it EXACLTY like the manual said...

any suggestions?

blacksnapon

Staff member
First thing, look at your paperwork that came with it. That should show what kind of warranty it has (if any). Then you should know which way to go from there.

If your battery, a short, or miswiring are at fault, a warranty is void. And they will be able to tell if it ran into a short or not. so act wisely and solve the problem FIRST, then act on warranty issues.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
ok.. i will can you give me a few pointers what to chek and how?

thanks..

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
the elusive SHORTING cell, that only shorts once in a while, from a plate that is loose, but not free (kind of like Tony's women... come to think of it, they may be short too... or short circuited... but I digress)

You snuck that right in there...

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i just got back from my local NAPA store.. and they tested it .. results were

fried stator
freid regulator the guy said most problely that the stator shorted out.. and fried everything else..

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Glad to hear you found the problem. Hopefully getting it exchanged will be easy.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts