Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Question about my rear

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Yes it looks fat. There are you guys happy now?

Just to second what the Truck Driver said, use the brake to let it inch or creep forward. Also you can shift it into 2 and it will lock in 2nd gear and also make spinning the tires harder.

Yep- tap the brake while on the throttle to get the LS to engage. I really don't understand why Ford insists on using a LS instead of a locker like GM does (ahem!).

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Now if we could just get GM to build us a truck instead of a "diesel car", I'd be interested. (touche Polarbear) YelloThumbUp

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
A GM Duramax/Allison powertrain in a Ford SD would be a world-beater.:cooldude:

Before you think I'm too pro-GM, this was my reply to a poster looking for an early-mid 90's GM pickup to mod into a mudding truck:

"1. Any GM IFS truck just isn't stout enough for serious off-road use, and will cost a small fortune to lift. It'll cost a large fortune to repair the first time you break it..... and you will."

That being said, owners that take these trucks off-road (as in, off the dirt road onto a trail or no road) are in a small minority, so GM isn't completely wrong using a setup that's comfier on-pavement. On the opposite extreme, Dodge's are stouter than hell- but ride like log trucks.

Last edited:

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Poor Erine, he'll never be able to live down the dealership selling the Ford franchise.:rofl: Especially after all the good deals he got people on the Superduties. (I wish he still sold them, I want a F450 so bad I can't stand it)

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
A GM Duramax/Allison powertrain in a Ford SD would be a world-beater.:cooldude:

Before you think I'm too pro-GM, this was my reply to a poster looking for an early-mid 90's GM pickup to mod into a mudding truck:

"1. Any GM IFS truck just isn't stout enough for serious off-road use, and will cost a small fortune to lift. It'll cost a large fortune to repair the first time you break it..... and you will."

That being said, owners that take these trucks off-road (as in, off the dirt road onto a trail or no road) are in a small minority, so GM isn't completely wrong using a setup that's comfier on-pavement. On the opposite extreme, Dodge's are stouter than hell- but ride like log trucks.

I've also learned recently that GM uses e-fans on it's Silverado 1500 pickups!!
Talk about "marginal cooling" They use the mechanical fan on the 2500s.

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
I've also learned recently that GM uses e-fans on it's Silverado 1500 pickups!!
Talk about "marginal cooling" They use the mechanical fan on the 2500s.

We could have a pretty lively debate over whether that's an upgrade or a downgrade. It was done for gas mileage- the e-fan is more efficient. Why not in a 2500? What don't they carry? (hint- CAFE gas mileage rating).

It's a pretty commmon mod on the older trucks though.

I prefer the E-fans, and even the pete sports one. If you spend any time in traffic or idling, it keeps your AC working properly. In the hills it helps keep the fan clutch from engaging thus robbing even MORE HP.

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
I prefer the E-fans, and even the pete sports one. If you spend any time in traffic or idling, it keeps your AC working properly. In the hills it helps keep the fan clutch from engaging thus robbing even MORE HP.

But there is no way an e-fan is going to have the cooling capacity of the mechanical fan.....that's the reason GM went to the mechanical fan on the 2500.....

Mercedes uses both, mechanical fan with thermal clutch, and an e-fan in front of the AC condenser. They use an AC head pressure switch to turn on the e-fan if needed.

Last edited:
I think the best option is like on the pete; BOTH. Each is a fail-safe for the other. Seriously,tho; Even Thru the Rockies, my clutch fan rarely engages.

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
I think the best option is like on the pete; BOTH. Each is a fail-safe for the other. Seriously,tho; Even Thru the Rockies, my clutch fan rarely engages.

I was editing my post, the same time you were posting!!YelloThumbUp

andym

Real men are fanatics
But there is no way an e-fan is going to have the cooling capacity of the mechanical fan

I don't agree with that. What about an e-fan makes it less efficient?

that's the reason GM went to the mechanical fan on the 2500.....

I think cost has a lot to do with it. Mechanical fans are FAR cheaper than e-fans for the manufacturer.

Ford Truck Articles