Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

NHTSA Preliminary Evaluation of 05-07 SD death wobble.

I know that this is an older post - but my '06 F350 CC had it so bad on one road that I travel fairly regularly that it would shift lanes at 35-40 mph. The Bilstein shocks cured about 90% of the problem over the Rancho "branded" junk. When I removed the 38,000 mile OEM shocks, 2 collapsed with virtually no pressure and one by just standing it in a vertical plane of it's own weight. One was fine though - whoopee. I hope to hear more from Ford - and maybe get some reimbursement - yeah, right!!!

Now - to fix the Continental tire problem - but that's the subject of another post later on:guns:

I'm experiencing a loss of steering on my 1995 F350. Currently 94k . Steering wheel does not re-center after making a corner so the truck just wants to keep turning. Seems as though the wheels aren't obeying the steering commands. Was pretty scary at 55mph. Needless to say I only did that once.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is this the "Suspension Oscillations" you are talking about? New guy to the site.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I'm experiencing a loss of steering on my 1995 F350. Currently 94k . Steering wheel does not re-center after making a corner so the truck just wants to keep turning. Seems as though the wheels aren't obeying the steering commands. Was pretty scary at 55mph. Needless to say I only did that once.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is this the "Suspension Oscillations" you are talking about? New guy to the site.
Nope, the "death wobble" is bad enough that you think a tire is coming off. What you have, probably is worn parts (ball joints, tie rod ends), or an adjustment issue.

I heard the dodges of death wobble (I've been told it's the scarriest thing to a truck especially on the highway). I didn't know the Fords ham 'em too.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I heard the dodges of death wobble (I've been told it's the scarriest thing to a truck especially on the highway). I didn't know the Fords ham 'em too.

Man someone is doing some thread mining tonight huh? HHAHA...but yeah Ford's have it too, didn't go through the whole thread to find out what particular year this thread is pertaining to, but the dreaded death wobble often times happens as front end parts start getting worn or old, and is accelerated in lifted vehicles due to extra stress. I've only experienced it in my '79 Bronco...but I got that taken care of. Pretend you're traveling 35-45mph and all of a sudden your front end acts like it has hydraulics...you can either power through it (not suggested) or slow down and let it work its self out.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Anything with a live front axle and coil springs is a candidate for the death wobble (jeeps, some dodges, older 1/2 ton fords, and super duties 05 and newer)

Ford Truck Articles