Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Mystery Leak!!! Help requested

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
The last few days there has been a puddle under my drivers side door (97 F250 with a 7.5 460). Its puddling on the chasis and I am unable tell where its coming from. There are two flex loom coated lines of some sort and the lower one appears it may be leaking. On the other hand it could be wet from the pooling. Ideas?
Thanks and Happy Memorial Day!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
ac condenser dripping water maybe

That would be pass side

My bet, there's leaves/crud in the fender/ door jamb, and it's full of water/ mud
try taking the hose and running it in the vent in front of the windshield, and see where it comes out

You may have to take the back half of the inner fender loose and do some cleaning out

460Trucker

I'm sure its not the A/C. It smells funky kinda like Acetone and its a steady pooling and drip. It also stained the pavement where it dripped. I checked and theres nothing blocking the fenders and holding water. The truck is garage kept and only driven in nice weather now as a weekend cruiser.

Side note: The liquid is clear just like brake fluid. The reservoir does not appear to be low (yet!) and break pressure is excellent. Hmmm...

Thanks for the help so far guys! Much appreciated.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Hmmm....Acetone?....that is a pretty odd aroma to be coming from your truck :suspicious:

Have you dipped your finger in it and taken a whiff?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Is your truck a manual transmission?(Can't remember) If so, maybe hydraulic clutch reservoir(if they even still use those?) or gear lube?

460Trucker

I have taken multiple whiffs. Definitely not motor oil or gasoline. Tranny is an E4OD Auto. does anyone know what those loom coated lines may be? Theyre hard to follow. Theres two running against the chassis on the drivers side.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Only thing I can think of with lines run like that is brake or gas.

460Trucker

Im checking the reservoir now. Would a picture help? Theyre almost in line with the tranny crossmember.

460Trucker

Ok. Give me 5

460Trucker

I think its dripping from that bottom line.

leak_zpshn3dc5bm.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I have taken multiple whiffs. Definitely not motor oil or gasoline. Tranny is an E4OD Auto. does anyone know what those loom coated lines may be? Theyre hard to follow. Theres two running against the chassis on the drivers side.

Usually loom is wires. You also have brake lines, and fuel lines running down that side. Could be something upstream is getting in the wire loom, and making it look like a plumbing problem

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Brake line is rusty at the clamp, and running down into the loom below. Look straight up

460Trucker

Any ideas to stop or slow the leak? Reservoir now confirms a decent loss of fluid. My go to mechanic for stuff I cant do aint around tomorrow.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Sadly, your going to have to build a new brake line.
If you have never done this, I can post a build thread on how to do it.
There is no brake line long enough to make the repair, the line goes from the proportion valve right there inside the fender well, and ends at the rubber line above the rear. It is not a lot of fun to make the repair, but you can do it

I have a lifted 89, I can take some pictures of both ends, so you will have an idea what to look for

One note, DO NOT DRIVE THIS TRUCK
Even though the master cylinder is designed to allow the front brakes to be separate from the rear brakes in a line failure, the master cylinder reserve is only one tank. Consequently, when you keep pushing the brake pedal, you keep pushing the fluid out the failed brake line, eventually, you run out of brake fluid, and HAVE NO BRAKES

I suggest if you are going to keep the truck, you use stainless steel lines and ends to replace the stock lines. They cost a bit more money at initial outlay, but in the end, you only do the repair 1 time.
A stock line lasts about 15 years, stainless steel line will be on the truck as long as you own it

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I aslo suggest that while the system is being repaired, you go ahead and replace all the steel lines on the truck.
Pay special attention to the steel line going from the front wheel to the proportion valve, the steel line up over the rear to the drums, and the line accrossed the front crossmenber to the passenger front brake.
I would also replace all 3 rubber lines at this time, just because,
1. it makes the repair easier
2. they are the same age as the steel lines, so they are probably rotten
3.you have to bleed the brakes anyway

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Take Charlie up on his how to offer Mike, it's pretty straightforward esp. if you have guidance.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts