Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Actron scanner codes

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Ok, let us know what happens.

Replaced MAF

Hey guys, I replaced my MAF with a junkyard part and she runs great. Though i still get some "pinging" running 87 octane. Did the 93 octane ruin my MAF? I also used a throttle body cleaner/lubricant and changed my plugs. It runs good but what can i do about the "pinging"?? The reason i tried a junkyard part is cost, $14.99 vs $128.99 and if it didn't work the yard would take the part back and refund me. I also replaced my starter this week, it died a sudden death but after removing it i could see why!! Ford redesigned the new starter with a wire seal instead of the plug in (you strip crimp and heat to seal the wire). Good idea but they didn't take into account that the plastic snap on cover for the main terminal doesn't fit now. So the smaller wire is sealed but the main wire is now exposed. Parts store doesn't know of a replacement cover, do they have one that you know of. Thanks for all your help, you've saved me alot of time money and effort!!
Mike

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Some trucks have a knock sensor. If yours does then it may be bad, but gas wont hurt a MAF. The knock sensor detects the pinging and adjusts the timming to correct it.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Hey guys, I replaced my MAF with a junkyard part and she runs great. Though i still get some "pinging" running 87 octane. Did the 93 octane ruin my MAF? I also used a throttle body cleaner/lubricant and changed my plugs. It runs good but what can i do about the "pinging"?? The reason i tried a junkyard part is cost, $14.99 vs $128.99 and if it didn't work the yard would take the part back and refund me. I also replaced my starter this week, it died a sudden death but after removing it i could see why!! Ford redesigned the new starter with a wire seal instead of the plug in (you strip crimp and heat to seal the wire). Good idea but they didn't take into account that the plastic snap on cover for the main terminal doesn't fit now. So the smaller wire is sealed but the main wire is now exposed. Parts store doesn't know of a replacement cover, do they have one that you know of. Thanks for all your help, you've saved me alot of time money and effort!!
Mike

I'm glad to hear that things are working our for ya. In no particular order, here are the three most common things that cause pinging/knock in OHV 4.0's:

1) Loose lower intake bolts with a possibility of the need to replace the lower intake gasket. Ie, vacuum leak(s) and a lean condition,
2) Dirty MAF sensor, easily cleaned with some carb cleaner and an artist paint brush. Go easy on it, it's delicate. You will need a security torx to remove the MAF sensor, however, if you've got a dremmel you might be able to defeat the security feature and use a regular torx.
3) Engine needs to be decarboned. I'd recommend using the Ford PM3 cleaner and not seafoam. Finish the job with new plugs.

The 93 octane didn't ruin the MAF as it's upstream of any fuel ;). Also, try as you may, in the end you might have to live with a small amount of pinging, a little bit isn't going to hurt it. You might find this applicable TSB to be of interest:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine - Carbon Knock On Acceleration

Article No:
01-19-7

10/01/01

^ ENGINE - 4.0L OHV - CARBON KNOCK ON ACCELERATION

^ NOISE - CARBON KNOCK ON ACCELERATION - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.0L OHV ENGINE ONLY

FORD:
1990-1997 AEROSTAR
1990-2000 EXPLORER, RANGER

ISSUE
Some vehicles equipped with the 4.0L OHV engine may exhibit an engine noise which may be perceived by the customer as a piston/connecting rod bearing knock. This carbon knock is heard only under load during the drive cycle. Carbon knock is a customer drive duty-cycle phenomenon that cannot be repaired with an engine exchange. This may be caused by carbon build-up within the combustion chamber.

ACTION
Verify condition. If normal diagnostics fail to correct the condition, de-carbon the combustion chamber to help quiet the carbon knock noise. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Use Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-up Cleaner PM-3.

2. Carbon removal:
a. Disconnect canister purge line from throttle body.
b. Attach a vacuum line to the canister purge port.
c. At hot engine idle, allow the engine to ingest 1/2 to 2/3 of a can of Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-up Cleaner. Use caution not to ingest too quickly due to potential hydro-lock issues.
d Shut engine off and allow it to soak for one hour.
e. Start engine, allow engine to ingest the remainder of the Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-up Gleaner.
f. Remove vacuum line and re-install canister purge line.
g. Road test vehicle at 3500 RPM for 2-3 miles.
h. Repeat above procedure two times for a total of three times.
i. Change oil and filter.

3. Review the customers' driving habits. The recommended drive cycle should include daily periods of engine operation above 3,000 RPM, such as a brisk acceleration from a stop position. This will break/burn the carbon off the piston head.

4. Use regular unleaded fuel, 87 Octane. Mid-grade and Premium fuels may increase the probability of carbon buildup, leading to a knock noise.

PARTS BLOCK

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

011907A Remove Carbon From 1.6 Hrs.
Combustion Chamber
(Includes Time To Perform
Procedure A Total Of
Three Times)

DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
6108 42

OASIS CODES: 497000, 615000, 702000, 702100

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
A little more food for thought, knowing that lean mixtures run hot.......

1) is there any chance that the thermostat isn't operating right and it's getting a little too warm under certain conditions? An infrared thermometer can be used to determine engine temp, simply point it at the thermostat cover.

2) You might be surprised at how much debris can build up between the radiator and A/C condensor; I say this from personal experience. I had probably 20something percent of the area restricted with foreign debris.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Is it ignition coils that were used on that engine? I didn't realize that they had phased out distributors that long ago...

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Yup, there's a coil pack on that engine. Also I don't recall there being a knock sensor on it when I plowed through the CD.

Ford Truck Articles