Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General Maintenance, Performance, and Tech. Info > Electrical

Old 01-28-2015, 08:55 PM
just growing older not up

polarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond repute
Let there be light

One of the big (and only complaints) about my Gen 4 Taurus Taurus is the lighting. Specifically, the headlights on a dark country road. So I went out and bought a set of Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. Better... but still not right. A trip into the garage showed the problem- the driver's side was aimed much too high, the passenger side pointed down at the pavement. Simple fix- although it took a 4mm ratchet. The only adjustment is light height- via a 4mm screw at the top of the headlight assembly. Removal is required to perform this adjustment- loosen a 8mm bolt holding the headlamp down at the outer edge, pull both sliding tabs, and the headlight comes right out. Adjust (counter-clockwise with the ratchet moves it up) against a target lined on the fridge and freezer, and voila!

The difference is amazing. Of note, I doubt these headlights have ever been removed, and there weren't any telltale scratches on the adjustment screw- meaning it's likely the cars headlights were always like this.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
Adjustment makes a big difference...

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 01-28-2015, 10:20 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
They are great lamps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
I put those in my Hella headlights. There are lots of comments about not lasting very long. I've had mine about two years with lots of nighttime use and lots of vibration(dirt roads), and have had no issues. I would certainly buy another set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 01-28-2015, 11:07 PM

amkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond repute
I just bought the Ford tool for adjusting the headlights. It's a very thin double sided 4mm ratchet with a long handle. Makes for easy adjustment of the lens.
And I too have used the Silver Star ultras, was very happy with them.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:24 AM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Ern, what year is "Gen 4" considered?

Ryan
Old 01-29-2015, 12:01 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
If I may answer for Ernie, 4th generation was 2000-2007. My son's 2002 also suffered from droopy eyes. Driving in downtown Seattle at night with him was a real treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:36 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear View Post
One of the big (and only complaints) about my Gen 4 Taurus Taurus is the lighting. Specifically, the headlights on a dark country road. So I went out and bought a set of Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. Better... but still not right. A trip into the garage showed the problem- the driver's side was aimed much too high, the passenger side pointed down at the pavement. Simple fix- although it took a 4mm ratchet. The only adjustment is light height- via a 4mm screw at the top of the headlight assembly. Removal is required to perform this adjustment- loosen a 8mm bolt holding the headlamp down at the outer edge, pull both sliding tabs, and the headlight comes right out. Adjust (counter-clockwise with the ratchet moves it up) against a target lined on the fridge and freezer, and voila!

The difference is amazing. Of note, I doubt these headlights have ever been removed, and there weren't any telltale scratches on the adjustment screw- meaning it's likely the cars headlights were always like this.

ive noticed this is becoming problematic among other vehicles as well.. top of my cab stands at 6'10".. and am frequently having people behind me lately that their headlights are misaimed lighting up my cab like its fricken day time.. and its not just like they have brighter bulbs.. when looking back in the mirror you can tell when theyre not aimed right.. because the ones aimed too high shine like a fricken spot light into the mirror.. wish theyd include headlight adjustment in the state inspections.. get these people with out of adjustment lights fixed.

which when i got the SD i had the same issue with the adjustment.. they were aimed too high.. couldnt see at night.. (they were pointed at the top of my 8' high garage door.. ) before i checked it i though it was just from being use to shorter vehicles was why it seemed so dark.. but once i checked it i found the real reason.. now its adjusted correctly and can see better at night.

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus
Old 01-29-2015, 02:04 PM

amkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond repute
Same problem here Shawn, some intentionally aim the lights up. Very annoying and dangerous. Fog lights are the one that gets me. They are meant to light up just in front of the vehicle, not at the same height or higher than the headlights.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:45 PM

m78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond repute
I let them pass then put my brights on behind them.