Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General Maintenance, Performance, and Tech. Info > Electrical

Old 03-03-2016, 06:29 AM
Rooster Snorkler

jebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud of
Dual battery set up. What kind of isolator?

Hopefully some of you electric genius dudes can help me out here.

This is in my boat.

Currently I run a dual battery set up in my boat. 1 starts the motor the other runs all my stuff. However the 2nd battery I always either charge it at night. (Pain in the BUTT because of its stowage location) or during the day I run my solar panel on it and it charges it up faster than my fish finder can use it...but the downriggers eat it up...

So I want to put in an isolator unit that charges both Batts when the engine is running and isolates them when the engine is off. So far I have found 2 different types.

One system uses large diodes and heat sinks to perform this task. Seems like it's the simplest way to make it work. However I would have to believe that if it's using a giant heat sink, it's creating heat, which is taking away from my battery charging...not good since I don't use the "big motor" that much in the boat.

The other system I've been looking into uses a relay system which I'm assuming is basically 2 celenoids wrapped into 1 package. With ignition power it flips on and charges both batts. Seems like a good system since less draw on the amps.

Does anybody know which is better?

Here's one I'm thinking about
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0031...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Here's the other
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000R...rch&th=1&psc=1

I'm unsure how the bkue sea system works. I want one that's automatic and I'm not sure if that is or isnt.

Anyone have a recommendation or suggestions?

2008 f-150 crew cab

2005 f-350 Crew Cab Long Box diesel - for sale. Check out my classified post!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2016, 06:37 AM
Rooster Snorkler

jebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud of
Also kicking this around because I can charge on the trailer. Which is what I'm hoping to avoid doing...but the ability to might be nice. However the cost goes right up there quick.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/765...Plus_Kit_-_65A

2008 f-150 crew cab

Old 03-03-2016, 06:50 AM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B004...7005066&sr=8-3
Here is a fully automatic isolator. It senses charging voltage.
Randy
Old 03-04-2016, 06:58 AM
Rooster Snorkler

Thanks Randy.

Ordered...

2008 f-150 crew cab

Old 03-04-2016, 06:59 AM
Rooster Snorkler

I would rep you, but can't on my phone...it wigs out.

So +20 invisible rep points bro.

2008 f-150 crew cab

Old 03-04-2016, 07:31 PM
Fire in the hole...

nobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond reputenobodyspecial has a reputation beyond repute
That's pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. - CPT Parker - April 19th, 1775, Lexington
Old 03-21-2016, 05:11 AM
Rooster Snorkler

Installed and works like a champ. Haven't tested with the motor running yet, but through my battery charger on my starting battery since it was a little low. I had fish finder monitoring my battery voltage on the accessory battery. After about 20-30 seconds it kicked over and i went from 11.9 to 13.7. both batteries are now charged.

2008 f-150 crew cab

Old 03-21-2016, 07:09 AM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
Great to hear it's working like it should for ya.
Randy