Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General > Garage and Tool Zone

Garage and Tool Zone Tool discussion, or anything pertaining to your garage.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:34 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Tips on removing a snapped bolt?

I replaced the sway bar bushings on the not ford today. There are two bolts(top and bottom) that hold the sway bar bushings onto the axle bracket. One of bolts snapped off at the head while trying to remove the bolt. I thought okay, I'll get an easy out to remove. I drilled a hole into the bolt, then inserted the easy out. The easy out snapped off while trying to turn the bolt out.

Now, I have a bolt with no head and a hardened steel easy out that won't drill out. I can't get at the backside of the bolt either.

I don't really want to drive the vehicle with only one bolt holding the sway bar bushing in place.

Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2016, 10:39 PM

cbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I replaced the sway bar bushings on the not ford today. There are two bolts(top and bottom) that hold the sway bar bushings onto the axle bracket. One of bolts snapped off at the head while trying to remove the bolt. I thought okay, I'll get an easy out to remove. I drilled a hole into the bolt, then inserted the easy out. The easy out snapped off while trying to turn the bolt out.

Now, I have a bolt with no head and a hardened steel easy out that won't drill out. I can't get at the backside of the bolt either.

I don't really want to drive the vehicle with only one bolt holding the sway bar bushing in place.

Any ideas?
Is there any way to weld a bolt back if you remove
the bushing?

If theres room to weld another bolt on ,then it may work! Ive seen it
done before!

Im not a bum,Im on vacation!....
Old 08-06-2016, 10:40 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
None..that sucks.

How big was the easy out?

Can you try a reverse drill bit?...if the easy out isn't too big.
Quote:
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:47 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaker65 View Post
Is there any way to weld a bolt back if you remove
the bushing?

If theres room to weld another bolt on ,then it may work! Ive seen it
done before!
Won't that melt the bushing? I might be able to get the bottom of the bushing bracket tack welded onto the bracket, since there are two ears that slide underneath the bushing bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFXDLI View Post
None..that sucks.

How big was the easy out?

Can you try a reverse drill bit?...if the easy out isn't too big.
The drill bit was a 5/64" for the easy out, and the bolt is 8mm. I'm not familiar with reverse drill bits. That sounds like it might work.

Quote:
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Old 08-06-2016, 10:57 PM

cbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Won't that melt the bushing? I might be able to get the bottom of the bushing bracket tack welded onto the bracket, since there are two ears that slide underneath the bushing bracket.

The drill bit was a 5/64" for the easy out, and the bolt is 8mm. I'm not familiar with reverse drill bits. That sounds like it might work.
8mm is small an is the equivalent to a 5/16 isn't it?

Old 08-06-2016, 11:01 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Welding might work, but if it's cleaned off level it makes it difficult to avoid welding to the surrounding material...at least that is my experience.

Ask Frank to send you a can of that blue shit
Quote:
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:

Old 08-06-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Welding might work, but if it's cleaned off level it makes it difficult to avoid welding to the surrounding material...at least that is my experience.

Theres blue shit?......

Old 08-06-2016, 11:04 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

Yield...I forgot the name...like bionic weinerschliedin

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-06-2016, 11:17 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaker65 View Post
8mm is small an is the equivalent to a 5/16 isn't it?
Pretty similar, yes.

Quote:

Not good. Hey, Frank, send me a can of that blue shit.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-06-2016, 11:18 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

Quote:
Yield...I forgot the name...like bionic weinerschliedin

That made me laugh.

Quote:
Quote: