Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

So this happened...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Snagged this 06 60 for $250 for the Bronco...looking for a 2010+ 37spl 10.5, preferably with optional locker. But with a strategic move with LEB, gonna try to make an as user friendly bolt in kit as possible for pre-80 trucks.

IMG_9663.JPG

IMG_9664.JPG

image254.jpg

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
^^I think that's a front axle in the photos, Doug.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
^^I think that's a front axle in the photos, Doug.

DOH! Please refer to previous statement. That would certainly explain the steering linkage :headbang: UNLESS LEB is developing 4 wheel steering.(I'm just trying to dig myself out of this hole.)

"I'm not familiar with the newer rear ends."

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Haha...no worries. That is the front, I'm ***looking*** for a 10.5 to match. But biggest hurdle will be the RA's...then appropriate coil buckets and hoping for relatively bolt on.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
On a second look...I may have misspoke, the drw 80's are definitely 37spl, but I'm looking for a srw 10.5...and I can't find confirmation on those being any more than 35spl.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
This is the D60 front from a 2006 350. I think they went to the 10.5 full time in the 2000's, and that's what I'm looking for, something 05 or newer. Pretty sure the e-locker became optional around 2010-2011.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Sounds interesting...subscribed!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sounds interesting...subscribed!

Thanks...purpose of this build isn't to be hardcore, or excel at any one thing more than another. I want it to be better than 90% of everything at anything. Be that power, streetability, off-road, drivability, recovery, etc. And key for me is reliability...I don't want to have to touch it for 250k. Chassis down is covered. Bumpers/winches, roll cage will be up next. Then the interior will get lined, deadened and probably rubber mats. A front 40/20/40, cruise and a/c. Probably upgrade some tunes and do some kinda rear tool/spare parts storage too.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Sounds good....I'm sure it will be spot on given your knowledge etc....smilieFordlogoYelloThumbUp:beer:

Fellro

Staff member
This is the D60 front from a 2006 350. I think they went to the 10.5 full time in the 2000's, and that's what I'm looking for, something 05 or newer. Pretty sure the e-locker became optional around 2010-2011.

I know they started 10.5 in 1997 with the new body. I thought it was across the board at that time. Started at the same time as the metric bolt pattern.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I know they started 10.5 in 1997 with the new body. I thought it was across the board at that time. Started at the same time as the metric bolt pattern.

Not exactly sure the exact year...97 would have still been 92-96 body style for anything that would have warranted sterling, and were still 8x6.5. 97 body change was just the 150 and light duty 250. So maybe 98, or econolines. Either way, I'm looking for something 2005 or newer.

Fellro

Staff member
I'm off one year then, 98.

FYI there were no 1998 model year heavy duty pickups. They skipped right from 1997 to 1999 with the re-designed "super duty." There were just some light 7 bolt f-250s in the same body as the f-150 at the time like UTfball68 said.

Would be really neat to swap that newer coil over front end on. Hope you guys can get it figured out relatively easy.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Would be really neat to swap that newer coil over front end on. Hope you guys can get it figured out relatively easy.

Thanks me too. I'm not really recreating the wheel, the swap has been done before, not as frequently as I'd expect though, and for as cheap and as strong as these axles are, I'm surprised they're not more used. There are bolt in kits for pre-super duty axles...so would be nice to be the first to get it done for SD's. And those earlier kits are every bit of $3500 for all the components, I think these can be done for cheaper.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC

to clarify thats not just a Dana 60... 05+ the f250's and 350s were offered with the Super Dana 60... (f450 - F550 had the Super Dana 60 for the front end in 04) they had slightly beefier (stronger) axle shafts than the earlier regular Dana 60's.. while there are some parts that are interchangeable not everything is.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/131-0906-dana-super-60-front-axle/

this article does a good job of explaining some of the differences between the 2...

Ford Truck Articles