Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New Carb and Intake

I'm going to go out and purchase a new carb and intake. I have a rebuilt 351m nothing special. I've been told to go out and get nothing less than 600cfm carb. I looked at holley carbs and found Part Number: 0-80452. Does anyone know anything about this carb? Also, if this is a good carb to go with what intake should i purchase to go with it?

Also, does anyone know the bolt pattern for a 78 Ford reg cab 2 wheel dr f150.

Thanks everyone

Dont know much about intakes or carbs, but the bolt pattern is 5X5.5

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's a really good user friendly carb...the 4160 is the little brother to the 4150. If you want a little more user tuneability, I'd go with something from the 4150 line...it's only an extra $30. Anyway, most guys waaaaaaaaaaay over carb and they blame it on a bad carb...but I'd say 600cfm wouldn't be much of a stretch. Using the rule of thumb formula (max rpm X CID)/3456, will give you the ball park size carb you need.

Here's an assumed example:

(4500 X 351)/3456= 457

Might be a little small, but you may find out with a 600 cfm carb that you'll need to jet down to find the right rating.

Anyway, I love Holley carbs, and they're all wet flow tested to give a true cfm rating, which is typically why Holley is considered as being more 'performance' friendly over the dry tested Eddies.

As for the intake to go with...the typical set up and one of the better ones is an Edelbrock Performer for a little more low end...or go with a Weiand, for a little more top end. If you don't plan on going any higher than 4000rpm you could try some of the older Edelbrock intakes, you can usually pick them up reeeeeeeal cheap on ebay...but why limit yourself, right?

And Chris got it...5x5.5 bolt battern

Holley FTW! Got an old holley 600 on my 460. That thing will sit you back in your seat

That sounds about right, although im not an expert

just my opinion but i would go with edelbrock 600 cfm i ran hollys for 30 years and after finaly going with edelbrock on the advise of a mechanic freind my hollys are all sitting on the self the biggest complaint i had with them is the engine always seemed to run too rich even with jet changes,and carbs would want to boil fuel on a hot day milage improved choke seemed to work better install them and forget em a duel plane intake would work well for you also as single plane are more for the upper rpm range regurds joe

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Will a Holley 4150/4160 and an Edelbrock 2171 Performer sit right on top of my 351M or will i need any extra parts to get it going?

Everything will fit nice and purdy like...the only think you'll probably need is the tranny linkage if you have an auto tranny. If you find the carb you want on summit, it will tell you that, and will give you the link to what you need. Beyond that, you'll probably need an open element air filter to fit over the carb too.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts