Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What's this part called?

4036394084_9dc2d29e01.jpg

I looked up timing chain covers and found nothing close. It sits between the block and the water pump. After taking the bolts out and removing the water pump its only held on by three more bolts and the crank seal. It is not sealed to the block, but coolant flows through it so I'm assuming it needs to be taken out, cleaned, new gasket. Or do I cross my fingers and hope that the new water pump when bolted back on will seal it up.

Fellro

Staff member
It is the timing cover, if it didn't move, then it likely will be ok, but since you are that far in, might be worth looking at pulling the balancer off and doing the seal and gaskets. There is the gasket behind it, then the one for the water pump itself. Fel pro # TCS45061

Thanks guys.
I looked up timing chain cover on JBG and in LMC, Mac's catalogs and didn't find anything. I'll look a little harder tomorrow.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Thanks guys.
I looked up timing chain cover on JBG and in LMC, Mac's catalogs and didn't find anything. I'll look a little harder tomorrow.
:rofl:

You can try tomorrow, next week, next month...or...for the next 100,000 years! You will not find one single timing cover for a 351M/400!

You wanna know why? Because...there is no such thing!

These engines and the 351C do not have a timing cover, just a flat plate.

D6AZ6B070A .. Cylinder Block Front Cover Plate / Obsolete - No Ford Dealer or obsolete parts vendor has any.

Where does the fuel pump mount? The fuel pump bolts to the drivers side of the engine block.

The pump's bolt pattern is at 6 & 12 o'clock...the ONLY Ford pumps that are like this.

btw: 351C/351M/400 waterpump. There are TWO waterpump gaskets, one inner, one outer.

One gasket is used on the body of the pump itself...then there's the waterpump's steel cover plate (D2SZ8508A).

Then...there is another gasket that goes between the cover plate and the cylinder block plate.

It appears to me after lookin' at that pic you posted...that the waterpump's cover plate and corresponding gasket are still attached to the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info BKW.
Just got my factory service manual today.YelloThumbUp
Its showing Block-gasket(6020)-Cylinder Front Cover(6B070)-Gasket(8507)-Water pump. In () is the basic part number out of the book.

Kinda curious about this - Last edited by CaFordDude : Today at 11:26 AM.

Fellro

Staff member
Well, perhaps the front cover isn't outright called a timing cover, but it does the same job. It covers the timing chain. Same thing on my 6.9, a flat plate that covers the opening of the block where the timing gears are. I don't know what all was said, so I leave it at this, while it may not outright be named such in any parts book, it does that job all the same. Fel Pro's gasket set indicates Timing Cover, as it's initial letters in the part # are tcs, timing cover set.

I'll say it again......When it comes to specifics "Terminology is everything"

Fellro

Staff member
But I guess, to someone trying to find the gasket set, looking it up as a cylinder block cover plate will not be very fruitful outside the Ford books... Look it up as a timing cover gasket set, and you will find it easily. In the end, what is the difference? Same part, same job. You call it cover plate, I call it timing cover, what is the difference? Seems to me that it is a silly argument.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
4036394084_9dc2d29e01.jpg

I looked up timing chain covers and found nothing close. It sits between the block and the water pump.
Take a look at the diagram you posted (post #10).

Now...compare it with this picture. Notice something missing?

See that "ear" sticking up with the crusty bolt hole...just to the right of the t/stat opening?

It's not part of the "Cylinder Block Cover Plate. So....what is it?

It's the waterpump's cover plate (D2SZ8508A) still attached to the engine.

It's not shown in the diagram....but it's obviously there.
------------------------------------------------------
Mil1ion said:
I'll say it again...When it comes to specifics, "Terminology is everything."
Since Ford refers to this part as a "cylinder block cover plate" and...since I was a Ford partsman for 35 years...

I use correct Ford terminology when describing this part...and every other part on a FoMoCo vehicle.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts