Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

400 to 460 (Finally!!!) (56K warning)

In the last couple weeks ive finally started the swap ive wanted to do since the beginning- a 400/c6/205 swapped to a 460/t18/twin stick 205. I got lucky enough to find a donor truck with everything i need.

bluewashed.jpg

This is my blue truck. I bought it about 2.5 years ago, and it hadnt failed me until june, when the 400 turned belly up.

towed.jpg

Sad day. =( I was on my way to my job at the beach and a main bearing decided it had had enough.

green3.jpg

Here is a pic of the donor truck. Nothing pretty about it, but the guts are what im after.

green2.jpg

Can you tell it was an offroader?

4604.jpg

While it dont look very good, this 460 is cranked up pretty good. Bored, cam, valve job, big carb, equals a very strong 460. Im not sure if you can tell, but he didnt really care what it looked like. It was his toy, which he only used in the winter to play in the snow. Also, the trans and tcase have been gone through, and it has ceramic clutches.

green.jpg

Another pic of the donor truck. I plan to find the parts eventually to use that PTO driven winch.

greenonhoist.jpg

Here is the truck while i was getting ready to pull the motor.

greenhoistpic.jpg

Just a picture of the front of the motor when it was at eye level.

aftertcaseremovedongreen.jpg

After i took the transfer case off

4603.jpg

And after some pulling with the forklift and some prying at the botched motor mounts, presto! (Sorry, kinda blurry)

emptygreenenginebay.jpg

Its such a big hole...

4001.jpg

Now onto removing the smoked 400 in blue...

4002.jpg

And thats about as far as i am on that part.

4601.jpg

I had to do valve cover gaskets, so i painted the covers just for chits and giggles. So here is the 460 about ready to go back in.

4602.jpg

Another pic of the 460...

So thats my progress so far. Hopefully this weekend ill get to pull the 400 out. Ill keep this thread updated as much as possible. The motor doesnt have many miles on it, and the trans and t case are fresh, so i figure this should last me. I also plan to use a lot of the suspension. Its about a 4" lift w/ 35"s, tight limited sip out back in a nodular 9", one ton U-joints, 4:10 gears. Ill use the front lift, but im prolly gunna just beef up blue rear springs for the rear lift. The rear lift on the green one is stacked factory blocks on sagging springs. So that aint gunna work.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I must say Chris...I'm jealous. Nice little swap. Any frame problems?

Damn I was just gonna ask ya if ya wanted to get rid of that winch.

It needs gone through, which costs money. So im gunna hold off on it for now. Besides, i gotta find all the pto parts for the transfer case

Thatll be difficult to find the parts for it.

Oh i know. i havent even started looking yet. The guy i bought the truck from seems to have a nack for finding weird stuff like that, so im gunna talk to him

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So Chris...you gonna run into any frame issues? Some guys say yeah, others say no. I don't really see an issue except for with exhaust manis/headers. And what are you gonna do with the left over truck? Parts?

Looks good!

You gonna swap that front bumper over to? I like it! :D

I will when i get the part for the winch. Or mabe i wont wait and put it on sooner. Idk. god its heavy though. i bet it weighs 300#. I got about 2" of lift just taking it off

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Chris...are you intentionally ignoring me? You've answered eveyone else but me...haha. I'm not your gay fish anymore.

So Chris...you gonna run into any frame issues? Some guys say yeah, others say no. I don't really see an issue except for with exhaust manis/headers. And what are you gonna do with the left over truck? Parts?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I traded a winch with everything for a flatbed and a utility bed once.....they're a pain to find but try finding some old sling wreckers......Swap's comin along good and that 460 looks good.....get r did!

This internet thingy is making me mad. Triple post

Last edited:

Chris...are you intentionally ignoring me? You've answered eveyone else but me...haha. I'm not your gay fish anymore.

Lol its because you broke the internet, i never saw them until just now. lol. Gay fish yo.

I dont forsee any frame issues, since they are both half tons. The extra truck, the jury is still out on what to do with it. I might put a used motor in it so i have an emergency spare, or to let a buddy, whos chebby blazer lost its t case, use it for the winter. idk. its pretty beat. the frame is good though, so it is still useful

I traded a winch with everything for a flatbed and a utility bed once.....they're a pain to find but try finding some old sling wreckers......Swap's comin along good and that 460 looks good.....get r did!

Lol yeah ive heard they are hard to come by, but there is no hurry, so ill just take my time and do it right. And thanks!

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I will when i get the part for the winch. Or mabe i wont wait and put it on sooner. Idk. god its heavy though. i bet it weighs 300#. I got about 2" of lift just taking it off

I don't doubt it being heavy at all.. wrap it in some diamond plate, and it would look SWEET! I'm kinda diggin' the whole old/rusty look to though.. YelloThumbUp

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts