Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Brake lights stay on after replacing brake booster

I just replaced the brake booster on a 79 f150, now the brake lights stay on. Here are the details:
If I remove the switch on the booster linkage, brake lights work as they should, however the turn signals don't work and they did before I replaced the booster. As soon as I install the lower switch and install the hair pin to hold booster linkage the brake light stay on. Any ideas? I have done this same job in the past without any issues.

Problem fixed

After thinking about my problem, I knew it wasn't rocket science to replace a brake booster and have brake lights still work, I thought the switch fit a little tight. I pulled the booster and fit the switch to the linkage and there was to much material on the end of the linkage where the switch fits causing switch to activate. I compared to the old one and then got out the old grinder and ground the linkage arm until the switch fit correctly. Put it back together and everything works again.

Still have spongy brakes...tomorrow's project!

Fellro

Staff member
Nice find. Too bad the part obviously wasn't produced to spec...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts