Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

No spark, what gives?

76f350spercamprspeal

Known By all-*-76SCS-*-
I've been trying to get my '74 F-250 started for two days to move it into the driveway as it's been parked on the street for a long time now. I am not driving it because of the high cost of insurance, once I get a job, that will change.
(Going to school right now, I don't want to try to juggle both)

So I poured some gas down my new Edlebrock Carb & it didn't fire. The truck does turnover, and I am getting gas. A vehicle takes 3 things to start, ignition, spark & gas. My neighbor is a very nice man, he was a mechanic for 35 years and owns a GMC dealership not far from our house. I asked him to take a quick look at it for me as he knows more about it than I do. So I cranked it over & we checked for spark, none. He says I need to get the schematic. He said my truck has a HEI system & the module could also be out. I told him I will find out what I can. His wife then came out & said it was time for dinner. So I thanked him & he went inside. Can you guys help me out? The truck has a Duralast Ignition Control Module. (I know because I have the receipt for it, & it's not that old.) It's got a 40,000 volt High Performance Pertronix Flame Thrower coil. Which is also not very old. My questions are:
1) How do I get spark again?
2) How do I test to see why I'm not getting spark? (I do have a tester)
3) What schematic do I need?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys in advance. :)

Just got a notice from Code Enforcement stating "Remove Christmas lights from house" & "Remove white truck from public view if non op"
I'm scared the next thing they are going to do is tow my truck. I need to get it started so I can back it into the driveway. I didn't want to have problems with CE. I am never going to live in the suburbs when I buy my own house, I want to buy some property & have as much trucks there as I want. Put up a big gate so no one can see.
I wonder if someone called them or if they just saw my truck there for a while & decided enough was enough.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

76f350spercamprspeal

Known By all-*-76SCS-*-
I checked at the distributor, as the spark plugs are secondary.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Did you read the link that I posted?...it gives you step by step instructions.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
That is a lot easier to follow than the drill-down type charts they have in the 78 manual. I think it should be a sticky also.

76f350spercamprspeal

Known By all-*-76SCS-*-
Wow, I never knew until now I could put 33 BFG All Terrain Tires on the rear of my stock 2WD '74 F-250 Super-Cab. I got one on there & no issues, still plenty of clearance. I couldn't get the passenger side tire off 'cos it has a anti-theft lug nut on & I don't have the key & I don't want to break it off at the moment. Still couldn't get it started. Question for '73-'75 owners with the fuel tank selector valve on the floor, which position is the Aux (Mid ship tank) & which is the Main tank (rear tank)? I pushed the truck in the driveway, so all is good.

76f350spercamprspeal

Known By all-*-76SCS-*-
I will get pictures up once I get the other one on.
Rant to come later.

Ford Truck Articles