Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Carb help

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
If it has been sitting for 12 years, I'd say it's time for a rebuild.

Maybe someone else has a photo to post up for the choke adjustment. It's on the passenger side of the carb--a round black plastic piece. You loosen the screws and adjust using hash marks as a guide--this means nothing without having a pic, so I'm going to stop!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Here's a pic...but I'd suggest reporting back from Ranger's suggestion before messing with it:

choke.jpg

It's the black cap with the wires connected to it...you can see the retaining ring that has screws that need to be loosened.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I always pumped it three times goin to about half throttle each pump. It probly needs to get rebuilt after sittin that long with old gas its probly gummed up pretty good.

To activate the choke one shouldn't have to press on the accelerator very much

The coil spring inside the choke is what pushes the choke on.

It heating up and contracting is what pulls it off.

With the choke butterfly activated you should have a 1/8" gap in the air horn.

The Fast circuit should be set and when the engine starts, it should run at about 1200 rpm or more.

here are the instructions

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/re...c1528004b9f7&partId=0900c1528004b9c2#hd1-1-10

Last edited:
Ok I think I got it going now. I think the part is called an accelerator pump. It was sticking and I got it moving a little more freely and it is running fine now. I will probably replace it when I get a chance. Thanks for all the help.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Be best to just rebuild the whole thing the kits are only 30 bucks and come with all the gaskets and parts youll need. Also instructions if ya need em.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts