Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Used Oil Report

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Got my 2nd AmsOil used oil report back for Lil Dually...

OAI%20report_zpsnkwnqcc6.jpeg

looks like in some places it improved other places it got worse... not sure how to take the high silicon levels... or where it could be coming from...

OAI%20report%202_zpsvnj5qk84.jpeg

this time they added a pretty bar graph...

this oil change has 10,000 miles on it... mostly highway.. and yes the 19 qt capacity is correct... between the new oil cooler and 3/4" lines it holds 5 more qts than the engine originally held...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
thinking thats what they mean..

high silicon level normally indicate poor air filtration, they almost 100 from dirt ingestion. if your running a K@N style filter, replace it with paper.
the report has all the needed info. but i will chime in a say watch the fuel dilution!!! if it is still high after the next sample i would reduce your oil change interval. if your 6.0 is sill has the dpf system this high number can be caused by high regens. but with any oil sample it about the trends and not the total number, if any thing start to get higher from ware it been over a 3 sample period there is problem.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
high silicon level normally indicate poor air filtration, they almost 100 from dirt ingestion. if your running a K@N style filter, replace it with paper.
the report has all the needed info. but i will chime in a say watch the fuel dilution!!! if it is still high after the next sample i would reduce your oil change interval. if your 6.0 is sill has the dpf system this high number can be caused by high regens. but with any oil sample it about the trends and not the total number, if any thing start to get higher from ware it been over a 3 sample period there is problem.

nope no K&N on it... but the filter does have almost 40K miles on it.. and the dealership techs did a number on it too.. been looking at replacing it..

the fuel dilution has been the same every time the test has been done.. injectors have been changed.. dealer claims the engines fine.. i dont get where its happening at nor did they offer any suggestions for attempts to correct it. which seems after the head gasket job the dilution went down even with the increased number of miles on the oil.

went from 4.9% on a 7000 mile run down to 4.6% on a 10K mile run.. so it improved a little bit.. but cant seem to get rid of it.. and no-regen or urea in my truck.. that came later.. mines pre-all that stuff..

fuel dilution just happens there is no way to make it go away it just gets higher the more time the oil has on it. might just take a sample at 5k then at 7k and one for a 10k next oil change and see if it stays steady, or slowing increases from 5-10k. it sounds like that just the way it going though.

i bring up the regen things it funny to watch newer cat skid steers that dont run loaded very often come in with water like oil, because of fuel wash down (exhaust stroke injection of diesel for regening).

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
no worries... im glad i dont have the regen cuz i dont have to buy that blue def stuff.. think the high silicon levels is from the fact the engine was wide open to air when i was redoing the head gaskets over 3 month time period.. truck was sitting in the gravel & dirt side lot the whole time which gets pretty windy over there.. ntm when i started the job it was the middle/end of pollen season too..

Last edited:
that very well could be!!! dam drit. working for a cat we have to take "contamination control" very seriously. me and another tech (who does a lot of welding and metal repair) we joking around today about said crap, as i was searching under the valve cover for a coolant leak getting in to the oil (which i finally found). he was grinding in the stall next to me. shield were up and dirt and crap just get around. the nature of the beast

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
that very well could be!!! dam drit. working for a cat we have to take "contamination control" very seriously. me and another tech (who does a lot of welding and metal repair) we joking around today about said crap, as i was searching under the valve cover for a coolant leak getting in to the oil (which i finally found). he was grinding in the stall next to me. shield were up and dirt and crap just get around. the nature of the beast

that it does.. lol i got lucky with my head gaskets.. instead it blowing into the cylinders and filling them up with coolant. it blew at the rear of the engine and just pissed the coolant down onto the exhaust.. which was annoying to try and find.. wasnt till i found the gold trail running down the back of the block i knew what was going on.. that and the degas bottle emptying every 20 miles..

got to love when thing break in sub normal ways. this one loosed the pressed in dowel for the #2 exhaust valve bridge. the dowel is pressed into the cooling path in the head so it started leaking. the rocker held the bridge and dowel in place so it could come out. when dowel came loose the bound up the bridge and bent the push rod.

i started pulling the head and found the push rod. had everything apart and looked over the head with a fine tooth comb but didnt removed the valve bridges (just checked for free travel) so i didnt notice the loose dowel. cleaned everything up and put it together.......still put coolant in the oil... 2 days of checking stuff finally found it with the valve cover off and the pressure tester

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
ouch not fun for sure.. least the head didnt get damaged.. but bent push rods aint fun either... im assuming the valves didnt get bent too?? as that might have meant piston damage too...

head is toast only because of the needed fit to retain the dowel and not leak. lucky on the lack of other damage. good news is warranty :)

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
woohoo.. my fave word.. warranty.. least fav word is expired...

woohoo.. my fave word.. warranty.. least fav word is expired...

lol :). i like the heavy truck and equipment world because if something like this happened say at 3-4,00 hours or under 250,000 miles it easy to go back to the manufacturer and ask for help up to full coverage of the bill. because alot of the parts are meant to be rebuilt or have a 10+ hour lives and "reasonable life" didn't come close to happening

Ford Truck Articles