Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My first engine pull/rebuild - 1994 351w

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
So I thought I'd start a thread about this. I've never pulled or rebuilt a motor, and it's the first time I've had a place where I can take my time and not be in anyone's way (except the wonderful wife who is tolerating my mess).

I've been taking pictures to help aid my memory, so this is not all of them, just ones that might show progress of the whole engine. Currently I have the engine stripped down enough to pull. All that I need to do now is unbolt the motor mounts and then start unbolting the transmission & torque converter.

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

Also, as promised, is a picture of the heads since I picked them up at the machine shop today!

IMG_1762.jpg

Ryan

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
The great thing about pictures, is that they don't forget... :)
I take lots of pics too... It's really a good idea.

I'm sure you've said in other threads what your plan is. But to save me from searching the PWT12....

What is the plan?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool Ryan, looking forward to seeing your progress.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Don, it's just an old worn out 351. It still ran fine, but used a lot of oil and leaks all over the floor. Now that I don't rely on it for a daily driver, I thought it was time for some TLC and to bring a little spice back into our relationship. :rofl:

I'm going to have this block machined out and do a legit rebuild. I have GT40 heads in the photos above and I'm going to cam it as much as my fuel system will let me. After some research I'm expecting maybe 300hp out of it, which is way better than the stock 210hp/315ft/lbs.

My last big question mark on the build is whether it's flat tappet or roller. All research indicates 1994 is a roller block, but I want to tear it down and verify before I buy a camshaft. You never know if I got stuck with a late production 1993 flat tappet motor on an early 1994 build. Better safe than sorry!

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
It could, but I don't think my stock fuel system could handle it!

I wish I could get crazy with it, but the fuel injection is limiting me. I would REALLY like to take it further than I am, but the truck just can't be tuned for it.

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I have been looking into that. I might pick a camshaft that's a little out of my fuel system's range and just take it easy at first and then do the conversion. I didn't want to do an engine rebuild AND a Mass Air Flow swap at the same time. If it doesn't run, I wouldn't know where to begin to fix it. I might do the swap when I confirm the engine runs well.

I think my best bet would be to use an F150 MAF body, a truck ECU, a truck wiring harness, and add in my own oxygen sensor bung in the exhaust. I have researched it some, but not exhaustively yet. It's a neat system because it 'self tunes' a lot further than my current speed density setup.

Ryan

I have been looking into that. I might pick a camshaft that's a little out of my fuel system's range and just take it easy at first and then do the conversion. I didn't want to do an engine rebuild AND a Mass Air Flow swap at the same time. If it doesn't run, I wouldn't know where to begin to fix it. I might do the swap when I confirm the engine runs well.

Ryan
sounds like a good plan!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
It sounds like my cousin Kyle is going to help me finish the pull tomorrow night. He's actually studying to be a Ford Tech in the Jefferson City area, but comes down to Lee's Summit, MO to get some regular college hours at the local community college for part of the week. He will be some really great help.

Ryan

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It's always a bonus to have knowledgable help.

BIGRED911

Charter Member
I'm gonna be doin some of this myself on my 92 when I get dun with the dudge...its only got 83,000 miles on it, I just wanna lil more out of it...it used to be able to scream when I was in hs....I know with my 92 its flat tappet, what for a cam should I get? I'm wanting something with alil lope....:)....

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Have fun with tear down and build man...it really does seem more daunting to start with than it really is. Most of the stuff in there can only go together one way.

It could, but I don't think my stock fuel system could handle it!

I wish I could get crazy with it, but the fuel injection is limiting me. I would REALLY like to take it further than I am, but the truck just can't be tuned for it.

Ryan

Have you looked into either Megasqurt http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/index.php or quarter horse http://www.moates.net/quarterhorse-for-fords-p-199.html?cPath=63 .. http://www.moates.net/ford-pre2005-c-63.html to tune your FI?

Ford Truck Articles