Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How Many 6.0L Motors over 100,000 miles????

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Well, let me start this thread off....

I now have 118,000 miles on my '03 Excursion and all is well!!!!!! :nana:

Only repairs done since new have been:
1) New lower radiator hose due to rubbing (warrenty).

2) New turbo pedestal (moan/droan fix - warrenty).

3) New alternator at 95,000 miles (not warrenty nor did I expect it).

4) Updated flashes over the years and have most recent with inductive heating.

5) New brakes (duh).

6) New shocks - Bilsteins @ 40,000 miles.

7) New tires (stock BFG's lasted 90,000 miles).

------------------------------------------------

Curious how many of you have a 100,000 mile 6.0L motor and/or from our resident techs how many 100,000 mile 6.0L motors you are seeing and what, if any, issues you hear about and see???

Dam Beach you put on 18,000 in no time. I'm at about 82,000 now still no problems.

I've got 126000 miles on my X.

It's getting a major heart transplant next year but it's been pretty well trouble free except for a couple of EGR valves, 4 injectors, FICM harness, and a couple of other minor issues. Currently the HGs are shot but I'm living with the puking until the new engine is done. :WooHoo: I have switched to evans coolant and have built a system to catch the puked coolant so I don't waste too much.

Brakes are still good, ball joints are still good :drop: , truck will get bilsteins and Hellwig sway bars during the transplant.

Truthfully it's been a very good truck so far, and that's why I'm investing in it so it will be a great truck for years to come. YelloThumbUp

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Does it count if I've put over 100K worth of wear in it? :rofl:

Actually, I'd guess it's better than 300K worth of wear!! :nana:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Pretty much what we are seeing here is if they get past the initial "growing pains", they are mostly bullet proof. We'r getting more and more of them now. Mostly they are contractors, and cattle ranchers (hauling a lot of cattle).

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Dam Beach you put on 18,000 in no time. I'm at about 82,000 now still no problems.

Wow... what a bone head post I made..... I have only 108,000 miles.

Guess I am eager to change my oil at 111,000 that I was already adding another digit????

Actual miles are 108,600 as of this weekend.
:beer: :nana: :beer: :nana: :beer: :nana: :beer:

Kep4

Jäger
Pretty much what we are seeing here is if they get past the initial "growing pains", they are mostly bullet proof. We'r getting more and more of them now. Mostly they are contractors, and cattle ranchers (hauling a lot of cattle).
That's what I'm hoping! Definitely a confidence builder to hear/read that coming from a Certified Technician.
36,800 miles on mine, about 1/3 towing.

Replaced to date:
front brake rotors and pads (warranty)
cd player (warranty)
both batteries last week

blacksnapon

Staff member
That's what I'm hoping! Definitely a confidence builder to hear/read that coming from a Certified Technician.
36,800 miles on mine, about 1/3 towing.

Replaced to date:
front brake rotors and pads (warranty)
cd player (warranty)
both batteries last week
Whats really coming to the forefront now, is coolant filters. Ford (although in whispers) is admitting now, that coolant filters will stop a lot of headaches. The egr coolers, and oil coolers, are definately affected by sediment. The water pumps will live longer.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Whats really coming to the forefront now, is coolant filters. Ford (although in whispers) is admitting now, that coolant filters will stop a lot of headaches. The egr coolers, and oil coolers, are definately affected by sediment. The water pumps will live longer.

Ford could have saved a lot of time and money and just contacted me about my thoughts on coolant filters back in 2003!!!

Ford... are your listening... I will work as a consultant!!!!!

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ford could have saved a lot of time and money and just contacted me about my thoughts on coolant filters back in 2003!!!

Ford... are your listening... I will work as a consultant!!!!!
Goose was here the same time our rep was, so I had him look at Goose's filter setup. He said he would mention it in his meetings.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I had put the coolant filter on just before she went and it had already plugged up just after she blew. So, fresh filter for the 7K mile used engine I got and it just plugged up today! Only about 1800 miles on this filter!!

I like having a water temp gauge that's tapped into the filter housing. When my temp gauge stops reading or gets slow to read, I know the filter is about done. :)

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Amazing how Int'l could allow so much "junk" to remain in.on the block when the motor is assembled.

Seems like Ford cold pick up on this and easily determine how come the EGR coolers and the like are failing!!!

There is so much crud floating in these motors, that I was sold after seeing a picture of it all... I just wish I had put one on sooer.... I waited until 50,000 miles... but I am glad now!!!!

sdtheclub

Certified Ford Tech
Well you will need headgaskets real soon. Most don't make it to 100,000 miles before they blow. Kind of suprised you haven't had a ICP sensor leak yet. Sell it while it still runs is my advice. I work on them everyday so I know what I'm talking about. Otherwise put four or five thousand a side because you will need it and if your really unlucky your block will warp, crack or get holes in it. Then you talking fourteen or fifteen thousand.

sdtheclub

Certified Ford Tech
Well you will need headgaskets real soon. Most don't make it to 100,000 miles before they blow. Kind of suprised you haven't had a ICP sensor leak yet. Sell it while it still runs is my advice. I work on them everyday so I know what I'm talking about. Otherwise put four or five thousand a side because you will need it and if your really unlucky your block will warp, crack or get holes in it. Then you talking fourteen or fifteen thousand.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Oh really? Who are you anyway??? Must work for Chevy or Dodge, huh?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I think the 6.0 "phenomenon" is somewhat regional. Here, we literally havent had any trouble with them. I've been 6.0ing since the start, and the most trouble I've seen was one engine bad because the gerotor pump exploded and put metal schards throughout the engine.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
All is well at 112,600 miles on my 2003 6.0L Excursion.

All is stock as far as the motor is concerend and the only replacement part(s) on it are as follows:

1) New alternator - summer 2007

2) New ICP sensor (12/18/07)

My check engine light came on yesterday and while watching my local Ford tech do his thing, the computer/scanner would sometimes show a fail and other times show a pass of all systems... but we both agreed that the ICP sensor code was intermittant and could cross my fingers, or just replace it... which I did. The leak was minimal and barely wet inside... but none the less, I have a new ICP sensor (early Christmas present) and no check engine light.

Guess I am good for another 112,600 miles!!!!

My '03/6.0L still has all 8 C94/original injectors, turbo, EGR valve, EGR cooler and head-gaskets... so to heck with those that state the 6.0L is a bunch of junk... I love her anyways!!!

Kep4

Jäger
Here's a copy/paste from another 'sdtheclub' post:

Yesterday, 03:14 PM
sdtheclub
Certified Ford Tech Join Date: Dec 2007

The 6.4 is a great engine with only minor problems. I am a senior master tech and have been diesel certified for over twenty years. I've been working at Ford dealerships before the 6.9 came out. The 6.9 had headgaskets, injectors, injector pump problems and fuel leaks from all over the place. The 7.3 IDI had the same problems They redesigned the headgaskets at least five times. Then the 7.3 DI came out and I was swamped from day one. First it was the oil getting air in it. Then the oil res going dry causing a crank no start. Then several glow plug relays a day. Then surging because of a sticking IPR and oil leaks from H.P gasket and H.P fittings. Orings on the injectors falling apart causing the engine to run rough and surge. Then a waterpump every 50,000 miles or so and the list just goes on and on. Then came the 6.0, well we all know what a piece of crap that is. What idiot would design a diesel engine where the head bolts that go through aluminum rocker boxes. They learned that didn't work back in the 50's. Who ever designed the 6.0 should have been fired the day it came out. Then came the 6.4, it's been out in production for about ten months now and we have only worked on about twenty of them for engine concerns and out of them probably half were because of something the customer caused. Like putting gasoline in it or using the wrong diesel fuel. So it's my opinion that the 6.4 is by far the best diesel engine that has ever been put into a Ford truck. I work at a huge dealership that has five diesel techs and the only thing that keeps us busy is the 7.3 and the 6.0.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Here's a copy/paste from another 'sdtheclub' post:

Yesterday, 03:14 PM
sdtheclub
Certified Ford Tech Join Date: Dec 2007

The 6.4 is a great engine with only minor problems. I am a senior master tech and have been diesel certified for over twenty years. I've been working at Ford dealerships before the 6.9 came out. The 6.9 had headgaskets, injectors, injector pump problems and fuel leaks from all over the place. The 7.3 IDI had the same problems They redesigned the headgaskets at least five times. Then the 7.3 DI came out and I was swamped from day one. First it was the oil getting air in it. Then the oil res going dry causing a crank no start. Then several glow plug relays a day. Then surging because of a sticking IPR and oil leaks from H.P gasket and H.P fittings. Orings on the injectors falling apart causing the engine to run rough and surge. Then a waterpump every 50,000 miles or so and the list just goes on and on. Then came the 6.0, well we all know what a piece of crap that is. What idiot would design a diesel engine where the head bolts that go through aluminum rocker boxes. They learned that didn't work back in the 50's. Who ever designed the 6.0 should have been fired the day it came out. Then came the 6.4, it's been out in production for about ten months now and we have only worked on about twenty of them for engine concerns and out of them probably half were because of something the customer caused. Like putting gasoline in it or using the wrong diesel fuel. So it's my opinion that the 6.4 is by far the best diesel engine that has ever been put into a Ford truck. I work at a huge dealership that has five diesel techs and the only thing that keeps us busy is the 7.3 and the 6.0.
Kepler, thanks, I did read that after I posted, but take a look now at my post here:
http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2609

Ford Truck Articles