Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Carnage Pictures

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Alrighty. SHE LIVES AGAIN!! Here's a couple pictures of the damage I did:

First, the front cover. It's gouged, but not bad. YES, we replaced it!!

1st_LPOP_Failure_FrontCover.JPG

And second, the gear set (The inside gear is supposed to be joined together. There's nothing missing.):

1st_LPOP_Failure_GearSet.JPG

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Ok, more bad news. Anyone want to venture a guess what happens when a diesel making a pass quits at 1700EGT and has NO oil pressure? The engine is running fine, but NO boost. Baked the turbo. Ouch!! Now I'm really screwed.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Ok, more bad news. Anyone want to venture a guess what happens when a diesel making a pass quits at 1700EGT and has NO oil pressure? The engine is running fine, but NO boost. Baked the turbo. Ouch!! Now I'm really screwed.

You don't have a spare turbo?????

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Uh, it's really help us folks that haven't wrenched on a 6.0 to know what we were looking at in the pictures...........or at least what it WAS before it was destroyed ;)

Gunner

I would like to know as well. I don't recognize that from a gasoline engine.

Yes...he just put a new expensive aftermarket turbo on it. I think this was his first run at the strip with it.

His CC is not going to like this one. I doubt his boss (wife) does either.

They say you gotta pay if you wanna play. Guess this qualifies. Sorry guy.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Uh, it's really help us folks that haven't wrenched on a 6.0 to know what we were looking at in the pictures...........or at least what it WAS before it was destroyed ;)Gunner

Those are the two gears for the LPOP (Low Pressure Oil Pump) in the Gerotor oil pump. The small inner gear that broke attaches directly to the crankshaft. Here is a link to a picture of it installed in the motor.
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_html/html/Page_023.html

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

That turbo should be re-buildable, probably just damaged the bearings on the shaft. Call Matt he should be able to get you replacement parts.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
That is confusing. High pressure oil rail is what I would call a fuel rail for the injectors. What does oil (are we talking engine oil?) have to do with injectors?

Our injectors are electric controlled by the computer and just squirt gas into the cylinders. I assumed yours injected diesel fuel in the same manner. [confused]

If it is too complicated, you don't have to explain. It is extremely unlikely I will ever own a diesel. I really don't need to know any of this, its just sounds odd.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
That is confusing. High pressure oil rail is what I would call a fuel rail for the injectors. What does oil (are we talking engine oil?) have to do with injectors?

Our injectors are electric controlled by the computer and just squirt gas into the cylinders. I assumed yours injected diesel fuel in the same manner. [confused]

If it is too complicated, you don't have to explain. It is extremely unlikely I will ever own a diesel. I really don't need to know any of this, its just sounds odd.

On the 7.3 & 6.0 PSD, (Also multiple IH and Caterpillar engines) use HEUI (Hydrualically Actuated Electronically Controlled Unit Injector). The engine oil is used by the HPOP system as hydraulic fluid.
www.cat.com/cda/files/208960/7/pehp9526.pdf
www.freeautoadvice.com/diesel/psdinjectors.html

Here is a link to the complete 6.0 Bible with more pictures and diagrams
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_html/html/TOC.html.

The HEUI system has been around for many years and was originally a design concept from Caterpillar IIRC.

The new 6.4 PSD does not use HEUI injectors, instead it uses a new Piezo Electric injector.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
@Blackhat

Thanks man, thats what I THOUGHT it was, but, as I said, not ever having wrenched on my truck, wanted to be sure. Didn't figure that big gear would ever give way though. Perhaps getting one machined out of stouter stuff would give him the durability he needs to run that hard?

@Brian B

I've read about the fuel system on these trucks. It has a low pressure pump, as stated above that takes care of the normal lubrication needs. Thats what the bull gear in the photo does. There is a high pressure oil pump also, and it uses oil to run the injectors in a seperate oil system. But it is all linked into the oil pan, if I've read correctly.

Have I got it right so far?

Gunner

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
@Blackhat

Thanks man, thats what I THOUGHT it was, but, as I said, not ever having wrenched on my truck, wanted to be sure. Didn't figure that big gear would ever give way though. Perhaps getting one machined out of stouter stuff would give him the durability he needs to run that hard?
Note the gear is on the end of the crankshaft. Thus a stronger material and binding up again could possibly take out the crankshaft. I'll stick with the softer ones. Also, the softer stock gears from Ford are $16.66 and the H-11 Tool Steel gears are $1100.00 with no guarantee. Yeah, I'm sticking with Ford gears. There is a way to help prevent the binding with the stockers though. You shave off just under a thousandth of an inch off the teeth and radius the edges both front ond back of both gears just a touch. Of course, I got this information AFTER I already put the new ones in.

@Brian B

I've read about the fuel system on these trucks. It has a low pressure pump, as stated above that takes care of the normal lubrication needs. Thats what the bull gear in the photo does. There is a high pressure oil pump also, and it uses oil to run the injectors in a seperate oil system. But it is all linked into the oil pan, if I've read correctly.

Have I got it right so far?

Gunner
Yep, that about sums it up. The LPOP feeds oil to the HPOP as well as the rest of the normal lubricating that takes place. One nice feature of this set-up is, you loose the LPOP and the engine just quits so you don't do any further damage by running it dry.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Oh, forgot to add, yes, I still have the stock turbo. BUT IT SUCKS! lol We're putting it back on for now. I've talked to both Matt and Jeremy and found out from Jeremy that he gets his turbos from a shop in Little Rock, AR. Not too far from me. :) I talked to the guy there and am going to send him the turbo so he can see about the cost to rebuild it. His worst case scenario is $600 and it could be as little as $250. I haven't heard back from Matt yet. I'm wanting to upgrade to his better system. He's got a new mount and now utilizing a turbo without a wastegate that allows it to mount closer to the stock location so everything will fit better. We had to cut up the Banks Hot Side CAC and reweld it to make it work. Yes, I already have a new Banks Hot Side CAC spare too. Banks sent it to me free. They're so nice!! :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts