Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Looks like steam from exhaust pipe, what's up?

blacksnapon

Staff member
O %$#&^?@%&, Here we go again.

Placed the ambulance back in service to run it and see if FORD knew what they were doing. This morning while returning from the hospital it blew something, top speed 15mph with smoke out of exaust. The turbo sounds like crap, looked under the hood and a very large hose comeing from the engine separated where a clamp holds the hose to the metal gooseneck. Oil all over underside of hood. Glade we didn't have patient on board.

Called the dealer and they never called me back. Had local wrecker operator, place on large rollback and carry back to dealer. Still nothing from dealer. Ambulance sitting in their lot.

DON'T WANT IT BACK UNTIL THEY FIX IT CORRECTLY.
Sounds like the CAC hose came loose. They'll usually sound like a shotgun going off when they come loose. Its a minor fix.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

Placed the ambulance back in service to run it and see if FORD knew what they were doing. This morning while returning from the hospital it blew something, top speed 15mph with smoke out of exaust. The turbo sounds like crap, looked under the hood and a very large hose comeing from the engine separated where a clamp holds the hose to the metal gooseneck. Oil all over underside of hood. Glade we didn't have patient on board.

Called the dealer and they never called me back. Had local wrecker operator, place on large rollback and carry back to dealer. Still nothing from dealer. Ambulance sitting in their lot.

Sounds like the CAC hose came loose. They'll usually sound like a shotgun going off when they come loose. Its a minor fix.

As Vince said, usually a simple fix, but have them also check and make sure th turbo vanes are not sticking and causing an overboost situation as well.

If it is the CAC hose it is the 3rd time it has happened. Twice within the first 2500 miles. It blew off 30 minutes after leaving FORD service center. They had to tow it back then also. I thought they had developed a more secure concection.

blacksnapon

Staff member
If it is the CAC hose it is the 3rd time it has happened. Twice within the first 2500 miles. It blew off 30 minutes after leaving FORD service center. They had to tow it back then also. I thought they had developed a more secure concection.
Many times its from improper installation. On the hose, there is a "ridge" inside, this has to fit inside a "groove" in the elbow. Too many times, the hose is installed backward.

Thanks, I will ask about both the turbo vanes and the hose being on correctly.

Can you tell from the outside if the hose has been installed backward?

Also, how can you test to see if the turbo vanes are sticking?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thanks, I will ask about both the turbo vanes and the hose being on correctly.

Can you tell from the outside if the hose has been installed backward?

Also, how can you test to see if the turbo vanes are sticking?
Some hoses are stamped with proper alignment, some aren't, so its not reliable. The ford dealer has a couple of tests to check turbo condition. Theres also a tool that fits into the top of the turbo to check vgt movement.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut

Sounds like a charge air cooler hose came off, the clamps on them are very touchy if you don't get it tightened just right bam it'll fly off. Sorry to hear this, but it happens often.

Got it back yesterday. They put a new cold air hose on turbo. They said it has been redesigned. No mention of the turbo vane check I requested. Guess it was OK. They want $249 for the hose. They said they didn't think it was covered by warranty. They are going to check with regional guru.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Got it back yesterday. They put a new cold air hose on turbo. They said it has been redesigned. No mention of the turbo vane check I requested. Guess it was OK. They want $249 for the hose. They said they didn't think it was covered by warranty. They are going to check with regional guru.

It may not be covered but they can probably combine it with the egr cooler job then it'll be covered. I like to change the cac hoses anytime I do a major job like that just because I know they tend to leak and crack.

Thanks for the info, bowtiehatr. So far I have not been told they will bill it to us. The unit is still within the 6yr 120k period.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts