Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Truck Coming Your Way, Vince

Ditto that, Vince...

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Its all stock. Its a service truck for their business, probably sees a lot of short trips and excessive idle time (I'm guessing)

But with an OEM air intake system, what would cause the turbo to be so pitted and scaled????

blacksnapon

Staff member
But with an OEM air intake system, what would cause the turbo to be so pitted and scaled????
The short trips would contribute to moisture build up in the exhaust. Not enough heat built up to burn off the moisture and condensation, leading to rust and scale. Excessive time of inactivity hurts them as well.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
The short trips would contribute to moisture build up in the exhaust. Not enough heat built up to burn off the moisture and condensation, leading to rust and scale. Excessive time of inactivity hurts them as well.

OK... I get it....

Same thing happened to a friend of mine when his baby was born and the kid had red hair... my friend and his wife could not figure it out since they both have blond hair... so the doctor stated it must have been "rust" due to "inactivity"!!!!!

'hah' 'hah' 'hah' 'hah' 'hah' 'hah'

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Was this guy using an aftermarket intake system or the stock/OEM Ford system with a Donnalson blue media filter?

Jeff,

The picture that Vince posted is of the "Turbine Wheel & Housing" ie Hot side of turbo. The rusting and pitting occurrs do to a combination of moisture, chemical compounds and heat in the exhaust system. Lots of short trips or excessive idling lead to increased moisture and chemical compounds in the exhuast resulting in higher corrosion rates.

Air intake has no effect on the Hot side, air intake only contacts the "Compressor Wheel" ie Cold side. You could run with no air filter and it would not hurt the hot side.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
What's the latest on this?

Vince in post #25 in the middle of the head there a little tit, is that the tip of the glow plug.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts