Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

CB Radio Help

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Hey guys,

Recently, my CB radio has been interfering with the windshield wipers and when I accelerate. Whenever the wipers move it makes a noise through the static and same when I use the accelerator. Anyway to fix this? It overpowers the radio transmissions from others and I can't understand them.

Thanks for the help,

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Subscribing because I've had the same issue and haven't figured it out. My CB is wired right to the battery.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Mine does it in the radio too with it hooked to the stock circuit. But I never worried about that too much since I use my cd changer.

460Trucker

M78 It is in the radio, the radio noise is NOT coming from the wipers and accelerator. I apologize for any misunderstanding

460Trucker

What about inline filters? I've been reading about those and how they tend to help cut out the noise. Which kind of filter is easier/more effective?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Also, grounding...plenty of ground straps. I fought with alternator noise on mine forever and never did get it 100%. Inline noise filters on the cb power wire would be good as well.

460Trucker

Now I'm not familiar with how filters are installed. Do they screw on like an adapter?

460Trucker

Get some Coax cable and use that as the power and ground directly to the battery.

If that doesn't work try cleaning ALL the Power-Ground related connections

ie:
1)The back of Voltage regulator and the connector for charging,
2) add a braised ground cable from block to firewall

If it is still a problem move your antenna and Make Absolute Sure the antenna connections are clean and secure

Then get back to me before you head to Radio Shack or a CB Radio store

460Trucker

Problem solved!
I went to radio shack about an hour ago to check for inline filters. They didn't have those amongst the significant amount of CB supplies. So instead I picked up a two pack of Snap Choke Cores.
I placed one on the power wire as close as I could to the fuse panel. I turned on the wipers and there was no interference! In fact the entire sound quality was improved and I could actually hear the truckers out on I-91.
Here is the link to the exact ones I bought ($3.19 for two) http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3012599

Thanks to everyone for the help!

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I'll have to try that. Will it work for my stereo too?

460Trucker

It should. They are for any standard AC power cord. Let me know if it works out.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I will. Hopefully I get a chance to pick some up this weekend. Thanks.

460Trucker

Well this stinks. Now it's back! It's weird how these interferences/periods of silence are so inconsistent.

re-read my earlier post

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts