Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Duncan, upgrading my lights/wiring question.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Oh, I understand where you are coming from, you are far more versed in what will and will not work, for me buying a $5 relay is just a no brainer. Plus if I ever wanted to add additional lighting to that circuit, viola, I am already ready already!!

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Hey Mike,
18 LED clearance lights wouldn't be much of a draw at all....probably in the neighborhood of .1 amp each for ones with several diodes in....so probably a maximum of 2-3 amps.
Am I missing something with that switch?....are you sending power to a flasher type driver?....I'm pretty tired so I might just be dorking out :D.

Hey Duncan,

I do not have any flasher type drivers. I was just wondering if simply wiring that momentary switch is all I would need if I were to make them function as hazard lights as well. Also, do you know of anywhere else I could find a double switch panel like this? This is the only one I am able to find thats not ridiculously priced.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Hey Duncan,

I do not have any flasher type drivers. I was just wondering if simply wiring that momentary switch is all I would need if I were to make them function as hazard lights as well. Also, do you know of anywhere else I could find a double switch panel like this? This is the only one I am able to find thats not ridiculously priced.

No, it looks like (from the manual) all that switch does is send power to a flasher type module (if you had one)...often, those type of LED drivers need a momentary burst of power to toggle between the various flash patterns.

I don't know where to find a cheapish type panel...Ebay might be worth looking at.

Also....as far as power goes for all those lights, a 5 amp circuit is all you need.

460Trucker

Excellent. Thanks again for all your help! This will be my project over spring break. Everyone else goes to the beaches and I stay home and work on my truck smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You are more than welcome...and just ask if you have any more questions! smilieFordlogo

460Trucker

Hey there Duncan, I found a switch panel. Its a 3 switch aircraft style (Link http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Automotive-Pl-Sw53r-Safety-Toggle/dp/B005R5Z7OC )

Would it be acceptable to splice the power wires from 2 of the switches to the power wire on the 3rd switch to simplify the wiring? Like you said, the load should be good but I am not sure if this is up to code or not.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yes you can do that....YelloThumbUp

460Trucker

460Trucker

460Trucker

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts