Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Careful where you run wires

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
I replaced the electric fuel pump on my 52 F6. Before finding the bad pump I ran a new wire from ignition to the pump and routed it where I figured it would be safe.

Plowed snow for about 2 hours here and then headed 8 miles up the draw to my son's place. 3 miles of rough gravel road proved I wasn't careful enough routing the wire. Caught between the frame and a metal fuel line, it battered the insulation enough to smash thru to the copper.

Gauges started going crazy and I began smelling hot plastic as I'm flying down a hill. Next smoke started pouring out from under the dash. Oh, xxxx, I'm on fire!! Turned the engine off and coasted to a stop. Fortunately, just the insulation melting off.

Going again in about a half hour with a new wire. Plowed snow till dark.

Be careful with those home repairs.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Dayum. You're fortunate to get the truck running again after an incident like that. Did you melt any wiring in the main harness?

I bet you were more careful of the routing the second time. Good to hear all is well though.

Just one more reason I hate electrical stuff. :(

Oh...on a side note: We want to see pics of you plowing with it. I think that would be cool.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
After my brother rewired his 64 Chevy with a Painfull wiring harness and we turned the thing on kaa blooy! no more wireharness

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
They don't use fuses - 48-52 use a circuit breaker instead. That's why the ammeter was dancing back and forth.

No additional damage to the main harness - it wasn't bundled in with the rest of the wires. However, the original wiring is so brittle that if you bump it hard the insulation falls off. I spent a lot of time taping bare wires.

I have a new harness but this truck is destined to become a parts truck for two others - my 48 F6 and 52 F2 so I'm trying to limp it along until spring.

I'll try to find a couple of pictures from last winter. I had them posted on the other site for awhile.

If he is going to part it out in the spring...not a big deal. Just keep a fire extinguisher in it for now. A big one!

Mine has been re-wired from front to back. So far...no wiring issues, but it is a home made harness. It is stock as far as how evcerything is wired.

At least that old rotten brittle cloth covered wire is gone.

I might have seen the pics over there, but I certainly do not recall them. If you find them...I would like to see them.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I don't know about his, but mine does not have a fuse panel. I was told the guages on mine have a fuse hidden under the dash somewhere. Other than that...I am not aware of my truck having any. 'smiliedoh'

I was thinking of using an inline type of fuse:

FH8X.jpg

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
When adding accessories or extra wiring to your truck, the easiest way to remain safe is to use an auxiliary fuse block. I did this to run things like my flashlight charger, aux gauge, etc.

DSC01364.jpg

Just has 1 hot input from the charge post on my alternator and then 6 fused outputs for accessories. They also make them in bigger sizes with more outputs.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
If i add anything more to my truck that will be on the list...
I have a facination with flashing lights, and it just so happens there are millions of them waiting to be put on my truck courtesy of evil bay...

Ford Truck Articles