Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Goodbye Cruel $$$$

Well, I'm tired of bits of my truck fall off as I drive it around and having kids call it a "Mater truck". So I took the financial plunge and having it restored! Check back to the link every week or so for updates... smilieFordlogo

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Sweeeet!
I would love to have that done to my truck.
What does a frame up run?

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
Very cool Jeff and congrats. I can only imagine how excited you are to get your truck back. I'm almost jumping out of my chair with excitement. When do we get to see it, they give you a timeline?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
So you bringin it to the Xmas party!!!!:WooHoo:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Cool deal.

I was talking to my uncle at Thanksgiving, the '67 Chevelle he's had since college should be done next spring.

Not sure what it's costing him but it's not cheap.

Hmm...interesting. Keep us updated. I think the title is appropriate. That will cost quite a bit. It will be a great truck when it is finished too.

Hope to see it in person someday. Maybe you can drive it to Branson next summer for the "Ozarks Run". This will be the 22nd.

I was not able to attend the one last year. I was stuck at home on daily I.V.s.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Dayum!! That's awesome Jeff. Bump this thread for us when there's an update so we can see what's goin on. Very very cool.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Looks like it's in good hands. Having done a frame off rebuild, I think you're very wise. After all, its only money.

Current time frame is that it should be finished by early March. It's costing more than I would like, about what I expected, not enough to wreck my life savings. Would definitely be cheaper to go buy a finished truck but that would not have the personal history. Also, it seems that most "finished trucks" require some corrections or repairs or personal tweaks anyway. I wish I could do the work myself but want it finished before the Tank's 100th birthday...

Wow thats awesome man.
Are you going original or more street rod tricked out?

Nearly original. It already has a few custom touches like the alternator and headers and dual exhaust. The color I'm looking at right now is Seafoam Green, a 1953 Ford color option that I think is close to what it is surrently painted. Originally the truck was Pallisade Green, which is sort of an olive green color. Also, I am thinking about having the bed and running boards covered with a spray-on liner for durability.

Cool deal Jeff. I actually like them close to stock (now), but driveable.

I hope I can keep my generator though. It is a huge conversation piece at cruise ins. The younger people have no clue what it is.

That is certainly not what I originally wanted, but once I had mine...I could not hack it up.

Does your bed have the wood and strips or is it the metal floor? I forget what years have the metal.

Brian, the bed has wood underneath with metal on top. I think it was this way originally (maybe just painted wood), but the current metal is a replacement -- pretty rough job welding it down. The metal is warped too, so we're looking at replacing that. I want to keep the bed floor steel for usability. The wood beds look really nice but then you don't want to put anything back there.

This is the best picture I have of the bed. The warped section is above the axle. This also shows the nice warp to the tailgate, which the shop is looking for a replacement.
tank1-4.jpg

Yes...the steel over wood was original. I just was not sure what years had it. Yours would look good with the bedliner in it. I agree.

Mine has the wood (sort of). It is a sheet and a half of the concrete form plywood. It looks old and weathered, but I doubt it will rot. It was rabbited so that the stock trim pieces fit down into it.

How is the rest of the tailgate? That warp would take about 30 minutes to get rid of. Mine was almost that bad when I got it. You cannot tell it now. It needs a couple of dings massaged out, but it has no filler or anything.

With paying a shop to do it...Replacement would be cheaper, if you can find one. Just don't toss that tailgate unless the rest is really bad. If you toss it, keep the center with the FORD script. I have seen guys looking for that part for other projects.

The rest of the tailgate isn't too bad. It has a few lumps down the center and a handful of holes that had been drilled over the years. I think the hinge area is pretty beat up. The shop guys are looking for a replacement but say this one is salvageable if necessary.

Good tip about keeping it if a replacement is found. No reason letting the shop keep it... :)

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Nearly original. It already has a few custom touches like the alternator and headers and dual exhaust. The color I'm looking at right now is Seafoam Green, a 1953 Ford color option that I think is close to what it is surrently painted. Originally the truck was Pallisade Green, which is sort of an olive green color. Also, I am thinking about having the bed and running boards covered with a spray-on liner for durability.
does it have a flathead or Yblock?

Ford Truck Articles