Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Diesel Bronco For Sale

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
it does indeed...depending on how well the swap was done someone should definatly drop 2k on it...

the body is in great shape as is the interior. got 3/4 ton stuff supposedly underneath... 4 speed.. thats a heck of a offroading base..

yea I would agee. the diesel swap is already done. i would almost trade my '79 for it.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
That's a sweet ride, but I don't know a darn thing about the 6.9.

Ryan

I'm thinking about doing just this with mine. But hell, if this one is already done I'll just buy that one. :D

Anyone here close to that thing?

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Bronco Diesel swaps are definitely cool, but outside of mpg's and the 'show' factor (ie tuning, massive torque, etc.)...I just don't get them. Sure the guy may have swapped in 3/4ton running gear, but all it takes is getting pulled over once by the DOT, and if he's over what the door says the vehicle is weighted for...enjoy the fines. I just don't think you can utilize the full ability of a diesel in a Bronco...but the cool factor is definitely there.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Diesel isn't much heavier than a 460; So ???

I'm not saying 460 vs. diesel. I'm saying the capabilities of the diesel vs. what the rig can legally and actually handle. Diesel offers way more towing/hauling capacity than any of the gassers that woulda been in that rig, but can the rig structurally handle it first of all. And second of all, if it can (like in this case with a 3/4 ton swap, but how many are left with 1/2 ton gear) how long before you get overweighted tickets. I know in the gen 8 broncos I had, I was seriously pushing the limits with a small Uhaul trailer and the rest of the stuff from my apartment(s) packed in the cabin. Now push that further with the capabilities of a diesel...I just don't see you being able to utilize the functionality of a diesel in a Bronco.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Benny, I hear what you're saying, but I must say that the rest of the world is not very similar to NC.

I would not worry at all about getting pulled over by the DOT anywhere other than NC.

Some places [GASP] don't even have speed traps on the interstate...

In all seriousness it was a shock to me to learn how commie it is in NC, but it is...

For those of you who may not know, they have random checkpoints in broad daylight there... got stopped on 2 different occasions in Charlotte during the day, and they just bark LICENSE AND REGISTRATION CHECK at you...

That just isn't done anywhere else I've been...

I'm not saying 460 vs. diesel. I'm saying the capabilities of the diesel vs. what the rig can legally and actually handle. Diesel offers way more towing/hauling capacity than any of the gassers that woulda been in that rig, but can the rig structurally handle it first of all. And second of all, if it can (like in this case with a 3/4 ton swap, but how many are left with 1/2 ton gear) how long before you get overweighted tickets. I know in the gen 8 broncos I had, I was seriously pushing the limits with a small Uhaul trailer and the rest of the stuff from my apartment(s) packed in the cabin. Now push that further with the capabilities of a diesel...I just don't see you being able to utilize the functionality of a diesel in a Bronco.

It appears you have nothing to say, but you want to say something so you through something in. What about American Cummins who put a diesel in his ’79 with ½ ton axles? I also seen them put in 96 Broncos with ½ ton axles. If you are the builder and know your broncos weak points you can adjust or now it’s limitations. To call this a waste of time and is too heavy tells me you didn’t do any research. smilieFordlogo

Bronco Diesel swaps are definitely cool, but outside of mpg's and the 'show' factor (ie tuning, massive torque, etc.)...I just don't get them. Sure the guy may have swapped in 3/4ton running gear, but all it takes is getting pulled over once by the DOT, and if he's over what the door says the vehicle is weighted for...enjoy the fines. I just don't think you can utilize the full ability of a diesel in a Bronco...but the cool factor is definitely there.

You really think the DOT is gunna weigh scale a old Bronco like that?

I see ppl putten 6.2/6.5 GM diesels in Land Rovers all the time. Land Rovers aint light neither. The guys that swap the GM into he Land Rover pick up power, gas mileage and functionability. It's not like your gunna be pulling a triple axel horse trailer with the thinkg. The functionality of this is it has a diesel, would be great for off road and winter driving in the snow and how cool is it to say you got a diesel powered Bronco. HAHA!! :D

Did you get weighed by DOT when you where hauling and towing? Most of us here on this forum have the truck they use to haul the heavy stuff. I know I do.

I dont think the intention of the builder was to pull triple axel horse trailers with a Bronco. It was to have a cool off road rig and maybe a daily or winter driver.

And UT, I'm not sure where you live, so maybe I dont see you point in the weight of the vehicle. :)

smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

Last edited:
Hey Ben, What they said.. smilieFordlogo

Benny, I hear what you're saying, but I must say that the rest of the world is not very similar to NC.

I would not worry at all about getting pulled over by the DOT anywhere other than NC.

Some places [GASP] don't even have speed traps on the interstate...

In all seriousness it was a shock to me to learn how commie it is in NC, but it is...

For those of you who may not know, they have random checkpoints in broad daylight there... got stopped on 2 different occasions in Charlotte during the day, and they just bark LICENSE AND REGISTRATION CHECK at you...

That just isn't done anywhere else I've been...

I see ppl putten 6.2/6.5 GM diesels in Land Rovers all the time. Land Rovers aint light neither. The guys that swap the GM into he Land Rover pick up power, gas mileage and functionability. It's not like your gunna be pulling a triple axel horse trailer with the thinkg. The functionality of this is it has a diesel, would be great for off road and winter driving in the snow and how cool is it to say you got a diesel powered Bronco. HAHA!! :D

Did you get weighed by DOT when you where hauling and towing? Most of us here on this forum have the truck they use to haul the heavy stuff. I know I do.

I dont think the intention of the builder was to pull triple axel horse trailers with a Bronco. It was to have a cool off road rig and maybe a daily or winter driver.

And UT, I'm not sure where you live, so maybe I dont see you point in the weight of the vehicle. :)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It appears you have nothing to say, but you want to say something so you through something in. What about American Cummins who put a diesel in his ’79 with ½ ton axles? I also seen them put in 96 Broncos with ½ ton axles. If you are the builder and know your broncos weak points you can adjust or now it’s limitations. To call this a waste of time and is too heavy tells me you didn’t do any research. smilieFordlogo

I did not call it a waste...if called it cool. I said I didn't believe you could utilize the full function of the diesel in a half ton rig. When it comes to legality purposes, I think that says alot. When it comes to hauling a load heavier than a vehicle is capable of towing, I think that says alot. I'm not saying it isn't possible, I'm saying there are alot of idiots out there that swap out a 7.3 out of a truck rated at towing 20k, and then assume their Bronco is capable of the same...and it's just not. You can build and alter limits all you want, but that still doesn't mean Johnny Law won't write you a $5,000 ticket if you're hauling 10k in a rig rated for 5k. And yes, in NC, it's a dollar a pound that you're over.

Yes...I do. I'd bet I see 4 light duty trucks a day with DOT behind them and the scales out.

And if you read what I said, I mentioned the tuning abilities, the cool factor and the mpg improvements. But my question is, how does it improve function? Because you're still handcuffed by what the door sticker says. And as I mentioned, just because you swapped a diesel in, doesn't mean the rest of the rig can handle what you're now throwing at it. The other parts are engineered to fail at some point.

And exposing ignorance, what benefit, or as you said, function adding, does it being a diesel in winter driving offer?

So as I said, the cool factor is the point of having a diesel Bronco. I was never denying that the rig wasn't cool, simply stating that you can't utilize what a diesel has to offer...at least in this state.

I do a lot of highway time in NC, TN and Va...and it seems to be pretty uniform in the areas I travel.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
There's a -20% chance of getting pulled over by DOT. I've never even heard of a ticket for being over weight for any kind of consumer vehicle. You don't have to weigh or any of that crap...

Ryan

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Benny is exactly right... I wouldn't gross over 6k or whatever it is in a bronc out east. DOT really does stop them - His number of 4 a day seems perfectly reasonable to me...

out west here? I havn't so much as seen someone getting a speeding ticket in a week...

that's all I'm saying...

and I KNOW it's a $/lb overweight. try moving 7000lbs of gravel behing a '76 F150 on business 85 some day... that job wasn't even worth it after that...

And exposing ignorance, what benefit, or as you said, function adding, does it being a diesel in winter driving offer?

I drive one daily in the winter in WI/IL. Not sure how that's ignorance.

I do a lot of highway time in NC, TN and Va...and it seems to be pretty uniform in the areas I travel.

See, I didnt know that. I can understand your concern for the wieght factor then.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I drive one daily in the winter in WI/IL. Not sure how that's ignorance. .

I meant my ignorance. Because you said it added function for wheeling and winter driving. I understood wheeling, but I didn't understand winter driving. If anything, I thought diesels had a tougher time starting in winter time.

See, I didnt know that. I can understand your concern for the wieght factor then.

Yeah, my whole perspective is simmply a difference in regional traffic enforcement and train of thought. Out this way, it's nothing to see scales pulled out. Can you gamble and get by, sure...I've done it. But I've also been on the receiving end of several thousand dollar tickets while hauling dies in the bed of Thunder.

Which then brings me to practicality...if you can't utilize the diesel, what's the point. Not to mention, how long before pay off for the swap??? How much did the drive train cost you, and how long before those mpg's offset the higher fuel costs. And my train of thought, outside of tires, I can't think of anything else I do to my rigs simply for the cool factor.

So in the end...is it cool, sure...but you'd be an easy target in this area, which obviously isn't the case everywhere.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
For a little more weight inspection perspective...my dad had his air ride unplugged in his caddy and got pulled over and weighed this weekend. The rear end was sagging...to give off the look of being overloaded, and he got pulled by a trooper.

Ford Truck Articles