Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

79 Bronco Build

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
get that stupid bird out of my thread. :D

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Would it fare better en espanol? :D

o-rlmente.jpg

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
dont make me use my mod powers for personal gain. :D

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
So, the swap is underway. The 400 is gone, and I stripped the mouse infested, soaked and rotting interior out. I was expecting the worst when I went to pull the carpet since it was soaked, but I was pleasantly surprised to find a very nice, rust free floor. I was not want to do rust repair.

I probably now have the hantavirus.

I thought both rear windows were broken, but only the drivers side needs to be replaced. Since this is the case, I will not go with plexi and just get a real window to match the tint of the passengers side.

I have two doors to replace the doors on the bronco from a 78 F250. I will also be stealing the steering wheel and pedal assembly from that F250.

I will probably not be hooking the AC back up, but instead will convert the compressor to on board air.

The F150:
05b98a0c.jpg

The Bronco:
36c34210.jpg

This came out:
09c6ed74.jpg

This still has to come out:
091e4212.jpg

Decent interior:
030e3c9a.jpg

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
If you like that one, you should see the ones that make it inside the house, not just get stuck in the quonset. :D No, its one of my Dads.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Yikes, only a comment on the elk horns, and nothing on the bronco. :(

Since the bearings are leaking, and I am regearing the rear end, I am going to take the time and completely rebuild it, along with all new brake lines. I am also going to convert it to discs at the same time. I am starting to gather disc parts, now.

I also have an old Warn 8200 that needs to be refreshed. i think it will work good on the front of this thing, or maybe I will find a hydro winch...

For what was just going to be a budget wheeler, I am starting to see this morph into a resto wheeler build.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I have a buddy that has really competitive pricing on disc conversions...at last check, depending on axle, it was only 25-50 more expensive than sourcing the parts yourself. Given that's $25-50, but for the time it would save me, I'd nab it.

For the record...when Mark said 'rack' I was looking for some super cool shelving unit, not elk antlers...those are cool too.

Looks like the project is coming along nicely...funny how budget builds aren't. I can't wait to see what that 300 will do.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Where can I get a hold of this guy about the conversion? I will see what he has, I should be able to do all the brake parts (minus new lines) for under $100.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Also, I updated the first post with the overall plan and general information as follows:

I bought this Bronco with the intent of turning it into a dirt cheap budget wheeler. I am not straying too far from that goal, but it needs some improvements. This will never be a nice shiny truck, but since I don't have a trailer that means it will get road driven. Knowing that it will see road use means it has to be in top notch mechanical condition for me.

My planned list of upgrades at this time are:

Replace the worn out 400/auto with a rebuilt 300/NP435
Twin stick the NP205
Disc brake/rebuild/4.56 regear/detroit the 9"
Rebuild/4.56 regear/lincoln lock the D44
All new brake lines with line locks front and rear
Convert AC compressor to an onboard air setup
Rebuild my Warn 8200
Paint and rust repair, I have good replacement doors, rest of cab is good
Trailworthy Fab beadlocks and 37" Good Years

Then:
41b5491f.jpg

Now:
36c34210.jpg

Warn 8200:
0829091450-1.jpg

Planned paint scheme:
7030ae05-1.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Thanks for the link, but I will be able to put it together cheaper than that. :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts