Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Interior water leak in 96

I noticed that my seatbelt was wet the last time it rained and looked to see where the water was coming from. It was dripping out from between where the top and bottom trim panel meet right above the rear cup holder and dripping down into where the seat belt rolls up when not in use. Any ideas where this leak is? Could it be from the seal for the shell top maybe? I have never removed the top because I was afraid it would leak if it was taken off and on. I hate to take it apart to findout where it might be leaking and thought someone might have had this problem before.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Check the drip rail above the window for any rust holes.

Either cracked sealer in the rain gutters themselves or the dreaded "aft gutter cracks"! Typical problem for all Broncos between 1980-96. They start at or just aft of the end of the gutters. The best approach is to clean the cracks (wherever they are) as best as possible and fill them with a non-hardening sealer of some sort. There is no bonafide "cure" for the problem. Check the Red Link in my signature for more info.

You shouldn't have to unless you discover that there are no cracks. Then (and this would be an extremely rare occurrence) you might need to replace the seal between the top and the aft section of the steel roof. In that event, you would need to remove the top. I have seen some of these seals dry rot simply because the top has never been removed from the truck but it would take either ice built up in the seam or a TON of water to get a leak to occur in that location.

I got cracks in the rain gutters and the little seam at the end...going to try to seal them and see if the leak stops, thanks again

Ford Truck Articles