Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Shift pattern '49 Ford F3 4 speed manual

Hello again fellow enthusiasts. Thought i would take you all up on the offer of some more help, so here goes........As I am arranging to have the '49 delivered next week and I have never driven such a vehicle, I wondered if anyone might be able to tell me the shift pattern of the 4 speed manual on the floor? I am guessing that it is typical "H" pattern (1-4), but would like reaffirmation and if stock as claimed, where reverse might be? I am guessing far left and up towards dash, but would love to be more than 50% sure. So, can I bother you all for more help? Thanks again and thanks for the nice emails you all sent in response to my other question. Have a great weekend!

radialarm

Clown of Death!
You ain't bothering us, man.

The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask, So ask us anything.

Don't be afraid to get into the jokes here unless you tell really really bad ones.

Here is the shift pattern for a 1950 F3 -
Shiftpattern.jpg

I would guess they would be the same as 1949. 1st gear is granny low, good for stump pulling, parades and entering small garages but not necessary for normal use. Get used to the idea of double-clutching, too. It's not that hard once you get the rythm.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Jeff has the info for you. Start out in second. Still basically a 3 spd for normal driving. High gear is the same 1:1 ratio.

Double clutching a spur gear transmission is a dying artform. If you need specifics, let us know.

thanks for the info gents! I was aware of the non-synchro tranny and have been trying to teach myself to double shift on the 96 F150 I have, but I am afraid I am not the smoothest at this early stage! I hope that is indeed the shift pattern, which is like my '96, minus the 5th gear, which should bring about some comfort. However, I am afraid the minute I sit in that '49 I am gonna forget everything! lol. I will try to start out in 2nd gear since from reading what you have said, I wont but get maybe 2 or 3 full tire turns in first gear before having to get out of it!

Don't worry about not remembering to start in second, you'll only need to do it once.

Double clutching is a dieing art but it's not that hard to master. Once you get the rythm of driving the old beast you might be able to shift without using the clutch, I can do it if I'm in the right mood. I have a page about driving a non-sychronized tranny on my web site:

http://fatfenderedtrucks.com/shifting.html

One thing I would like to caution you about your truck is the wheels. If it has the stock 17" wheels you will have a slight problem finding wheels for it. The truck came from the factory with two piece rims that are a very bad design. I also have a page about them on my site. Please read it:

http://fatfenderedtrucks.com/widowmaker.html

Wow, I just read that "widow maker" article and it scared the livin bejeebers out of me! However, I am certainly glad I am now aware of them since this is a truck I primarily will be enjoying with a little boy. Thanks for the info indeed!! BTW Bob........your site is really nice. Glad you made me aware of it!

You can find replacement wheels but they won't accept the stock hub caps. Ford used the same bolt patterns until the late mid '90s. You have to make sure the wheels you use will fit over the rear drums, which are larger on the rear than on the front on the pre-'52 F-3s.

If you're building this truck to have fun with and aren't going for judging you may want to look for an axle from a pre-73 F-250. It will have the same bolt pattern and higher gearing so you'll be able to get better performance and mileage. You also be able to find wheels easier for the more modern rear end.

Ford Truck Articles