Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cutting Down An Upper Intake...

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Been thinkin about this and how the shorter runners would affect the performance....Logically, it should act in a way like the mustang upper do......but I'd still like some other thoughts on this....Thanks

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
It should work in the same theory as Edelbrocks small Primary barrels, give you a little more torque on the take off.
But on a puter controlled engine I dunno...

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I don't i've ever seen that done.Come to think of it,I don't think i've ever seen anyone with a spare upper plenum.Weirdo.lol.j/k.It sounds like a good idea though,but I bet it'll take alot of work.It also might make it easier getting to that one bolt in the center that's a pain to reach with a socket.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
eive heard some guys use the 5.8 intake and got lots of difference in power.. becuase of the smaller ports..

No the 5.0 and 5.8 truck intakes are not the same and don't match up very well. If you want to improve the whole powerband of a stock truck 5.0 put a 5.0HO intake on it, the runners have a much smaller cross section which increases intake air velocity and TQ. And believe it or not there's only about a 1/2" difference in total runner length between the two, so the smaller runners account for all of the extra TQ the HO makes over the truck motor.. 300 ft/lbs vs 270ft/lbs.

I had thought about cutting down a 5.8 upper at one time but I gave up the notion and bought an aftermarket intake instead since there's no point making the runners shorter unless they also have a larger cross section. (An intake with shorter runners is technically tuned for higher rpms but unless it's also larger it won't allow the extra volume of air the motor needs at those rpms and becomes a restriction).
Dyno results I have seen would indicate the best stock intakes for the 5.0 are the HO for a motor with stock heads and the GT40 for those with aftermarket heads. With better than stock cams porting the lower portion of these improves power and TQ. The Holley Systemax is scary similar to the 5.0 truck intake and it absolutely kills low rpm power compared to these others.. works great on stroker motors and those with forced injection though.

Here are the truck intakes next to the 5.0HO..

Attachments

• FordTruckIntakes.jpg
Last edited:

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i have a lower NEW GT40 intake with a used 65mm mustang throttle body for sale

PM send

Ford Truck Articles