Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

A/C Compressor Clutch Cycles?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Is the A/C compressor clutch supposed to engage and disengage intermittently when the A/C is turned off? I mean to say-- the A/C is turned off, is it normal for the clutch to engage itself for a matter of, say, 5-10 seconds and then disengage?

of its on defrost yet, or mix.. but if the none of those are on, and the A/C is off, that clutch should not engage

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Switch is in the off position. I was told by someone else that theirs does it sporadically when the switch is in the off position. He said it does it to keep pressure in the system.

Not saying he's correct-- but it appears that mine was doing this earlier so I'm just curious.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
My rangers Ac compressor engages when i'm running the heater:suspicious: ever one tells me thats normal..

Last edited:

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Mine doesn't!!!

Maybe you got a computer glitch!!!

Interesting. My AC compressor isnt hooked up so I wouldnt know, but have you even left yet? :p:

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
my old F250 did not do this niether the Inline six 1989 !! maybe there is something wrong with one of the electronics of the A/C

no, unless the switch is in Norm A/C, Max A/C, Mix, or Def, the compressor should be off!

They dont spin on occasion for anything unless theres power to the compressor..

ill tell you this, last year my compressor was very low on r134, so it binded up when i hit the switch for ac, would bind and stall the engine... with that said, theres no way the compressor kicks on when not asked to, or else my truck would have been in a world of hurt lol

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
no, unless the switch is in Norm A/C, Max A/C, Mix, or Def, the compressor should be off!

They dont spin on occasion for anything unless theres power to the compressor..

ill tell you this, last year my compressor was very low on r134, so it binded up when i hit the switch for ac, would bind and stall the engine... with that said, theres no way the compressor kicks on when not asked to, or else my truck would have been in a world of hurt lol

smilieIagree

wiring.jpg

as you can see, the switch has to be in a specific position for it to relay to the compressor, yes some is vaccum controlled, BUT, if you had a vaccum leak, it would DISENGAGE the compressor clutch..

so really the only possible way would be TOO MUCH vaccum.. which i have no idea how trucks would do that

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts