Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Question about tires and dual panel...

I have never had to ask anything about my truck, however I need some help. I have an F 350 Dually. I had a blow out on the inner dual (I have never had a blow out ever!) I lost my exhaust and it tore the heck out of the dual side panel. Insurance will not cover because of the tires. whatever! I can get the exhaust and I lost a 2X2 mud flap, no big deal. My truck has an 8 inch lift with Michelin XZL R 16s on it. Not sure why that tire even blew but I need a tire and can not find them anywhere at all! Also wondering if I can just grab a side for the truck at a salvage yard or somewhere since Ford is ridiculous. It just clips on from what I can tell. My truck has never had any damage I figured that's what insurance is for but I guess not. I cant even find one of those tires.

I have full coverage. they wont cover it. I don't care. I'm asking if anyone can find my tires anywhere. I have searched and made a ton of calls. it seems as if they are not available. long shot, sorry.

try contacting Michelin and see what they say about where you could buy one

Fellro

Staff member
Not familiar with that sizing...

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
It appears to be a military tire/agricultural tire. You probably already know this, but there are some threads on tire forums dated 2003 that state they are next to impossible to find.

Fellro

Staff member
Even then, there is still a width designation. The important thing her that I was after is how wide the tires are compared to the rims, how tall they are compared to stock. With duals, you can't let the sidewalls rub, so the stock offset rims, even the 4x4 ones will not be good enough if these tires are taller and wider than the stock size. With an 8" lift, I am assuming that they are both cases. You have to run enough spacer to keep the sidewalls from rubbing. If you don't, the tires will actually wear the sidewalls through. The other thing with duals, especially since this truck obviously is not carrying heavy loads, is that the inner can go flat and not appear flat. Then as you keep running it, the inner eventually lets go.

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to enter this for general information.

In this case, the insurance company is responsible for any damage that the tire caused. They are not responsible for the tire itself. If you have "full coverage", in other words "collision" coverage, then they do have to pay for it. When you contact the adjuster and they tell you otherwise, then ask for their supervisor. If they will not correct that issue, going thru your agent is often a big help, since they get the company business. After that, if necessary, contact the State Insurance Commission.

I spent 5 years as an insurance adjuster and paid many claims like that. I also have many years body shop and mechanical shop experience. Those claims are always covered by the insurance company.

Aaron Thomas
Newport News VA

Ford Truck Articles