Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Installing a tach

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Ummmmm.... How do I do it?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
aftermarket? its super easy actually. can do it in 30 mintes or less.

if so how many wires?

4? red, white, black, green?

Well, I'm in the research phase... I'd love to just go the HEI route, but I don't want to pay for that right now...

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
SAM_0883.jpg

SAM_0884.jpg

SAM_0885.jpg

SAM_0887.jpg

SAM_0888.jpg

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ok look at the pics i posted..
wire colors, and what they do and where they are hooked up too

Red- Main power, i have it hooked to the fuse that the Radio Runs through, so anytime the radio is on, the Tach has power

White-Lights, i have this one wrapped to the fuse that the Dash lights run off of. i was suprised that setup worked but it did.

Black- Ground, Just attach it to a piece of unpainted metal

Green- its the wire that gives the gauge the readout off of the coil, how to wire it up on yours is questionable... id have to see how its setup.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I see. I'd have no issues with illum and power etc. But I don't know what's up when running off of the coil.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I see. I'd have no issues with illum and power etc. But I don't know what's up when running off of the coil.

when you get a chance take a picture of how your coil is setup. im thinking itll be similar to mine.

mine has 2 wires going into the connector that attaches to the coil. what i did i just had my truck running and everything hooked up and then took the bare end of the green wire and put it on one wire at a time in the connector and whichever one made the tach jump up i spliced into.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
when you get a chance take a picture of how your coil is setup. im thinking itll be similar to mine.

mine has 2 wires going into the connector that attaches to the coil. what i did i just had my truck running and everything hooked up and then took the bare end of the green wire and put it on one wire at a time in the connector and whichever one made the tach jump up i spliced into.

Will do. Trial and error with it...

Not having a tach is really killing me.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
was me too. even though its an Auto i like to see what RPMs im turning..

plus im gonna have to have one so i can break in my cam when i get my chit together...

Yep and yep. Also so I know how high I can rev that ****. :D

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
bwahahaha wow. you dont even know if it works?

you aughta do a Old start, Cold Start since its been sitting for so long..

I've decided not to run the truck anymore.I don't wanna risk any more damage to it.When I first got the truck,I didn't care for the 300,so I put it through hell.So now,i'm gritting my teeth on whether I can even use the original block.The inside of my water neck is corroded to hell which makes me wander about the condition of the internals.

Plus,my battery crapped out,and I accidentally let the warranty run out,and i'm not paying $100 bucks for a new one.The truck sits so much that another battery would just lose juice again,and i'm not buying a maintainer either.

So she sits until I pull the 300 and rebuild it.Next summer?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I've decided not to run the truck anymore.I don't wanna risk any more damage to it.When I first got the truck,I didn't care for the 300,so I put it through hell.So now,i'm gritting my teeth on whether I can even use the original block.The inside of my water neck is corroded to hell which makes me wander about the condition of the internals.

Plus,my battery crapped out,and I accidentally let the warranty out,and i'm not paying $100 bucks for a new one.The truck sits so much that another battery would just lose juice again,and i'm not buying a maintainer either.

So she sits until I pull the 300 and rebuild it.Next summer?

psh... wussy...... just starting it up won't hurt it...

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
300 blocks are plentiful. why is it so important to reuse this block?

Because it's cast 09/79 and it's numbers matching to the truck.Remember,i'm trying to keep most of the driveline in this truck original.The only thing in the running gear that won't be stock is the gears,D44,and offy intake/carb/EFI manifolds should I do that swap.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts