Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

02 f250 5.4L help!!!

I have an 02 f250 with the 5.4L. It has 32000 miles on it. I have a list of problems that may be electrical but need to know where to start. The abs light comes on and when this happens the tac and speedo go crazy and the engine starts skipping and it loses power. The abs light comes on even when it is in park and you can hear the engine misfiring. This happens whether it is wet or dry. The windshield is leaking when it rains and you can hear all sorts of electrical noise under the dash. I replaced the abs sensor in the rear diff but no change. There was one code when the truck stalled po720 but after I reset the code it hasn't come back. I do have a Boss snow plow on the truck not sure if that matters.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I seem to remember another guy having a issue like yours, and it ended up being a weird sensor on the axle..
Maybe one of the Techs and give you had on this..

BTW welcome to the site :D

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I have an 02 f250 with the 5.4L. It has 32000 miles on it. I have a list of problems that may be electrical but need to know where to start. The abs light comes on and when this happens the tac and speedo go crazy and the engine starts skipping and it loses power. The abs light comes on even when it is in park and you can hear the engine misfiring. This happens whether it is wet or dry. The windshield is leaking when it rains and you can hear all sorts of electrical noise under the dash. I replaced the abs sensor in the rear diff but no change. There was one code when the truck stalled po720 but after I reset the code it hasn't come back. I do have a Boss snow plow on the truck not sure if that matters.

I would start by fixing the water leak and checking the fuse panel, these trucks like to leak water into the fuse panel and will cause some wierd stuff to happen, also need to have the abs scaned to see what codes it has. The 720 is for the OSS sensor (output shaft speed). COP's can also cause some strange electrical feed back causeing these symptoms as well.

Im not sure what the gem module is or where it is located or what the COP's is. I am having a new windshield put in this week. Is there anything I can check in the meantime? I will have the abs scaned Monday or Tuesday. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the help.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Im not sure what the gem module is or where it is located or what the COP's is. I am having a new windshield put in this week. Is there anything I can check in the meantime? I will have the abs scaned Monday or Tuesday. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the help.

The gem is attatched to the back of the fuse panel, and the COP's (coil on plugs) Should be 8 of them one on each spark plug

03 Big Red

True Believer
NC
My 03 had a similar issue a while back and it turned out to be water trapped in and around the spark plug recess by the coil. It started while driving in a downpour.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts